It’s that time of year again when we all come together to remember those who have fought and died for our country.
While there are many ways to commemorate Memorial Day, why not do it with a fun craft project?
For seniors, these memorial day crafts can be done at home or in living facilities.
So get creative and show your patriotism with these fun craft ideas!
READ MORE: Easy Easter Crafts for Seniors
What Are Some Great Memorial Day Crafts For The Elderly?
It can be challenging to think of ways to keep the elderly entertained, especially during holiday weekends like Memorial Day.
But don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Here are some fun and easy patriotic crafts that your loved ones will enjoy.
1. Patriotic Mason Jar Lanterns
These patriotic mason jar lanterns are simple to make, and they look cute too! All you need are some mason jars, red, white and blue paint, a paintbrush and a candle.
2. Paper American Flag Lantern Craft for Kids
This paper lantern craft is a great way to decorate for Memorial Day! Just follow our instructions below to make one of your own.
The best part about this craft is that you can use any color, so feel free to get creative!
This project requires some cutting and folding. If the residents you work with have difficulty completing those tasks, you can do the prep work for them.
Make sure also to check out: mardi gras games for seniors
3. Popsicle Stick Soldier Puppet
This Popsicle stick soldier is a great way to honor our wonderful armed forces.
4. Easy Patriotic Flag Wreath
Make a quick and easy patriotic flag wreath that will make any home more festive.
ALSO READ: Father’s Day Crafts for Seniors
5. Easy Flag Craft
Here’s an easy flag craft for the senior crafter. This project is easy to make and an excellent way to show your patriotic spirit for Memorial Day or Independence Day.
This is one of the perfect crafts to make for nursing home residents.
6. Easy Popsicle Stick American Flags Craft
These patriotic popsicle stick flags are a great way to celebrate the USA. They can also be used as decorations for parties and celebrations.
TRY READING: 4th of July Crafts for Senior Citizens
7. Egg Carton American Flag Craft
Egg carton crafts are easy and fun to make. They are also a great way to recycle your egg cartons and turn them into something beautiful.
8. American Flag Paper Fans
Make a set of American Flag Paper Fans for your Memorial Day celebration. They are simple to make and will add festive color to your party!
9. Paper Poppy Craft
This patriotic paper poppy craft is an easy, inexpensive, and fun way to make a remembrance poppy.
This is also an excellent craft for seniors, veterans, and children. The best part about this lovely activity is that you can use recycled or scrap materials.
Making it one of the crafts for the elderly.
10. Sponge Painted American Flag
Make a beautiful patriotic display for Memorial Day with this sponge-painted American flag.
11. Pom Pom Bald Eagles
This pom-pom bald eagle is a perfect simple craft for seniors. You can hang it on your wall or attach it to a stick and wave it around.
12. Patriotic Colored Rice Jars
This sensory bin is perfect for Memorial Day because it combines red, white, and blue in one fun-to-play-with activity.
Seniors with dementia  may enjoy the soft feel of the rice on their hands or feet, and the colors may remind them of memories of celebrating Independence Day.
13. Paper Plate Patriotic Craft
Paper plates are a popular craft choice for someone with limited mobility.
They’re inexpensive and easy to work with, making them the perfect base for a Memorial Day craft.
14. Easy Red Poppy Craft
A simple flower with poppy craft that is easy to make. This is a craft the seniors in the nursing home can make with little assistance.
These crafts make great remembrance day themed activities in honor of our past veterans.
15. Egg Carton Memorial Day Poppy Wreath
For an easy and inexpensive spring craft project, make a poppy wreath. All you need is an egg carton, a few stems of flowers, and an easel.
You can hang it in your living room or use it as a centerpiece at a Memorial Day barbecue.
16. Egg Carton Poppies
These pretty flowers are a perfect way to recognize the service of veterans who have fought to protect our country.
17. Star Cookie Cutter Prints
Consider cupcake liner flowers if you are looking for a simple yet beautiful craft to make with the senior residents.
These crafts look great, and the best part is that they are easy enough for just about anyone to make.
18. Wine Cork Painted Flag On Paper
We love this easy wine cork craft for the senior community. All you need is a few corks, paper, and some paint.
You can even cut out the colored stripes from construction paper to stick on your flag or go over them with paint.
Make sure you have plenty of corks on hand so that everyone in your group can make their flag!
19. Fireworks Art
It’s a great group activity — simply put out the materials and let your residents go to town making their designs.
Be sure to also checkout FOURTH OF JULY CRAFTS FOR SENIORS!
20. Paper Plate Poppy Craft
This simple paper poppies craft is easy to do and made from supplies you probably already have in your craft stash. Making it an affordable activity.
Tips for Memorial Day Crafts
- Some seniors may have dexterity issues . Make sure the craft is easy to use and that they won’t experience any pain or discomfort while working on it with you.
- Some seniors may not have the ability to see clearly anymore. Make sure the craft has big pieces and bright colors.
- If a senior has mobility problems, choose activities done while sitting in a chair or at a table where they can be most comfortable.
- Ensure all the materials needed for the craft have been gathered ahead of time.
- If you’re doing an activity like finger painting, cover the floor or table with a drop cloth so that any messes can be cleaned up easily. You might even consider having them wear old clothes and using aprons to protect their clothing from accidental stains.
- Make sure the seniors are comfortable before starting the activity. It’s also vital that they can understand your directions and instructions.
These patriotic crafts for seniors are fast to make, many with just a few simple supplies, and can be easily worked into any schedule.
For anyone not wanting to venture outside for Memorial Day, there are plenty of ideas here that can be made within the confines of your home.
Love one, hate one, have one you’d like to share? Leave us a comment below and tell us what you think!
1. Dementia – an overview | ScienceDirect Topics. www.sciencedirect.com. https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/neuroscience/dementia#:~:text=Dementia%20is%20a%20chronic%20decline
2. Martin JA, Ramsay J, Hughes C, Peters DM, Edwards MG. Age and Grip Strength Predict Hand Dexterity in Adults. Macaluso A, ed. PLOS ONE. 2015;10(2):e0117598. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0117598