Wondering which kinds of shoes to wear with an ankle brace?
While just about any type of footwear CAN be worn with one, you do have to shop a little more carefully and choose a bit more wisely.
Below, I’ll go over what to look for when you’re shopping for everything from sneakers to work boot, and more, then I’ll even give you my top recommendation.
We have lots to discuss, so let’s get started!
READ MORE: Best Ankle Brace for Walking
Best Shoes to Wear With an Ankle Brace
Some types of athletic shoes and sneakers with a tongue and laces are not suitable for ankle braces, while other shoes fit well.
To answer the question, “Is the ankle brace wearable when you’re wearing your shoes?” you may want to consider the design or style of the shoe.
When using ankle braces, know ahead of time which shoes you should avoid.
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.
Athletic Shoes to Wear with an Ankle Brace
When you’re going to wear an ankle brace, you’ll want low-top footwear built for the sport you play.
It is true that no high-top shoe can stop an ankle sprain that occurs when a player comes down from a jump and lands on an opposition player’s foot at a high velocity.
To assist prevent ankle injuries or minimize the consequences of an injury, I recommend wearing a low-top athletic shoe with a high-performance ankle brace, such as the Med Spec ASO.
The Med Spec ASO is a top choice to wear ankle an brace with shoes.
What to Look for When Buying Athletic Shoes?
The general assumption is that tall work boots or high-top athletic shoes will be better for supporting the ankle than low-top work boots because the height of the tall work boots will increase the amount of leverage they have, allowing them to better hold the ankle in place.
The purpose of these new higher-top designs is to be pleasant to wear for long periods of time through the use of elastic and flexible materials.
Also, if the material stretches, it won’t be able to support your ankles very well.
Recommendation: WELRUNG Unisex High Top Shoes (Winner)
The WELRUNG unisex high-top shoes are an excellent choice. It is made of good quality material and specifically made for active people as well as athletes for both men and women.
It has added collar foam which increases comfort and support around the ankle and helps with proper balance.
- Waterproof Anti-Abrasion
- Shock absorption
- Lightweight and Flexible
- Available in variety of colors
- Vamp material: Mesh,Net fabric,breathable liner.
- Rubber outsole,Durable,non-slip, Shock Absorption
- Fashion style,shock absorption,lightweight,Flexible and Comfort sneakers, basketball shoes
- High top,Added collar foam increases comfort & support around the ankle,balance,protect ankle.
- The fashion sneakers suitable for wailking,running,basketball,Tennis,Badminton,and other sports
If you had just developed an ankle injury while working on the job site, and you’re thinking about obtaining an ankle brace, you are making the right decision.
What to Look for When Buying Work Boots?
It is preferable to wear low-top work shoes with adequate space for braces to fit in. There is no chance of irritation from your ankle bones because the sides of the shoe are lower than the joint.
Putting on a strong ankle brace in addition to a low-top work shoe offers significantly more ankle support than wearing a tall work boot by itself.
However, if you still want an ankle brace that will fit in a high-top work boot, consider getting the Vinaco Ankle Brace.
The Vinaco brace can be comfortably and easily slipped into almost any type of shoe from casual to formal.
Recommendation: Riemots Outdoor Shoes (Safety Choice)
These unisex Riremots outdoor shoes are a safe choice for people who have an active lifestyle.
Its durable rubber outsole delivers highly slip-resistant stability on wet and dry ground while providing grip and safety on wet and dry terrain.
- ★Upper: Suede upper with perforated design, fully waterproof, breathable and durable. Waterproof lining keeps your feet dry in wet weather. Padded tongue and collar keep dirty out. Protective rubber toe cap.
- ★Midsole: Phylon midsole to reduce weight and improve shock absorbing. Nimble feet lead to less muscle fatigue, less stumbling, and over time can help avoid knee and hip flexor problems.
- ★Outsole: Durable rubber outsole with self cleaning open design for traction and safety, deliver highly slip-resistant stability on wet and dry ground, over mixed terrain. Optimal balance of stability and flexibility for ground adaptation. Well-cushioned flexible soles, which can help prevent blisters.
- ★Insole: Micro suede insoles with open-cell foam backing, breathable and cushioned. Dual fitting styles come with a removable top insole and another removable layer underneath, allows you to customize your fit easily.
- ★Warranty: 30 days money back warranty. If there are any problems with the hiking shoes, please feel free to contact us.
If you are looking for a sturdy shoe for your ankle brace at formal events but don’t want to spend a fortune, we personally selected an affordable choice for you.
What to Look for When Buying Formal Shoes?
A shoe with a low heel height is a good option. Foot, leg, and back problems might occur if your foot is too arched.
For the optimum level of comfort and support, it is important to get a shoe with a curved sole.
Liomar helps your joints and tendons stay stable due to its crisscrossed strengthened straps.
Recommendation: BRONAX Men’s Sneakers (Budget Choice)
When you wear your shoes with a lace-up ankle brace, you get a solid fit, along with convenience because of the cushioning around the tongue and collar.
This sneaker is quite versatile: it can be dressed up or down, and it can be worn to the gym or for exercise.
- SIZE ATTENTION: True to size ! Recommend ordering usual shoe size, Half size up for Customer's with very wide feet.
- Look lively and full of personality with the exceptional style of the graffiti fashion sneaker.
- Slip on design with shoelaces gives a secure fit and convenience,padding throughout tongue and collar for added comfort.
- Durable rubber outsole provide premium cushioning and stable comfort fit so you are always ready for the next session.
- Being extremely versatile, the sneaker can be dressed up or down, taken to the gym or worn for kicking around.
Ankle Brace for Every Shoes (Amazon Choice)
The Neoprene material used in the Bodyprox Ankle Support Brace delivers the benefits from compression on regions where you need it most.
Living and moving more easily is a benefit while reducing the chance of ankle problems is an added bonus.
- Great for any sport
- Move with ease
- Smooth and durable
- One size fits both feet and up to 11" in feet arch circumference.
- Protect the ankle and minimize the risk of injury. Perfect for chronic and acute ankle injury symptoms. Helps relieve pain and provides comfort related to plantar fasciitis.
- Open heel design allows wide range of motion during activity and still provide support for the ankle tendons and joints. Ideal for indoor and outdoor sports that need strain ankles during exercise.
- Breathable neoprene material retains heat and prevents skin irritation. Comfortable, flexible, durable and washable.
- Speed up the healing phase, as it provides just enough and needed support for ankle and foot through compression on the tendons where you need it the most.
3 Tips for Buying Shoes to Wear with Ankle Braces
It is important to consider several factors when wearing shoes on your ankle braces. Following these tips will ensure you end up with the right pair of shoes.
1. Consider appropriate height for your shoes.
Look for a lower heel, yet not too flat for proper support and comfortability.
An ankle-foot orthosis (AFO) can be affected by a higher heel or a completely flat sole. Doing this can make your feet hurt and adversely affect your physical activity.
2. Choose functionality over fashion style.
Make sure it is possible to remove the innersole of the shoe. An innersole that can be removed will help allow for the extra room needed.
Also, the back of the shoe should be hard and rigid for control and stability. When one has a more rigid back, the foot and orthosis are easier to go into the shoe.
3. Always check comfortability.
Make sure to look for shoes that have adjustable straps to tighten or loosen the shoe.
Choose lightweight material to avoid weight-bearing pain. Also, pick shoe sizes that are a full size larger for a more breathable experience.
How long should you wear an ankle brace?
Wear it for 2 to 6 weeks. Wearing an ankle brace restricts motion, protects, and relieves discomfort.
How do you wear shoes with an ankle brace?
How to wear an ankle brace with shoes? Gently remove the ankle brace strap first and place the strap over your shoes. Slowly insert your foot inside and make sure the ankle brace fits in the most comfortable placement.
- “Brace for It: When to Use an Ankle Brace.” 2017. Mayo Clinic Health System. 2017. https://www.mayoclinichealthsystem.org/hometown-health/speaking-of-health/brace-for-it-when-to-use-an-ankle-brace#:~:text=For%20maximum%20effectiveness%2C%20ankle%20braces%20should%20fit%20comfortably,consider%20rehabilitation%20as%20part%20of%20your%20treatment%20plan..
- “Fit and Sizing | How to Wear Your Ankle Brace | Ankle Braces for Performance, Prevention & Injuries | Ultra Ankle.” 2018. Ankle Braces for Performance, Prevention & Injuries | Ultra Ankle. December 19, 2018. https://www.ultraankle.com/resources/customer-support/fit-and-sizing/.
- “How to Wear an Ankle Brace with Your Shoes?” 2019. AnklePain.info |. October 2, 2019. https://anklepain.info/ankle-brace-with-shoes/.
- “How to Wear Ankle Supports & Braces with Socks & Shoes? | SootheYourFeet.com.” 2020. SootheYourFeet.com. January 20, 2020. https://sootheyourfeet.com/how-to-wear-ankle-supports-braces-with-socks-shoes/.
- “The Best Shoes to Wear with Ankle Braces | Ultra Ankle®.” 2020. Ankle Braces for Performance, Prevention & Injuries | Ultra Ankle. August 27, 2020. https://www.ultraankle.com/2020/08/27/the-best-shoes-to-wear-with-ankle-braces/.
- “Top 7 Tips for Buying Shoes to Wear with AFOs and Splints.” 2018. Novita. August 23, 2018. https://www.novita.org.au/helpful-information/top-7-tips-for-buying-shoes-to-wear-with-afos-and-splints/.
What shoes do you like to wear with an ankle brace? Please share in the comment section below!
Claire is a registered nurse with experience in freelance medical writing. She is very passionate about geriatric nursing and seniors care and education (it is her favorite area of nursing). She worked with many seniors in a variety of medical settings to provide high-quality education and instructions about medical conditions and proper self-care. Follow her on LINKEDIN. Read her LATEST POSTS. Learn more about her HERE.