Are you looking for wheelchair umbrellas to add to your travel chair?
As you’ll find out, umbrellas are a great accessory for wheelchair users, especially if you love spending time outside.
But it can be difficult to pick the right one for your manual or power wheelchair, and that’s why we’re here with our comprehensive reviews!
Let’s start with a quick look at our top picks, then keep reading for all the glorious details.
READ MORE: Top 10 Best Newest Wheelchairs
Umbrella for Wheelchair Top Picks at a Glance
If you see the value in these products and choose to purchase via my referral links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Winner: The Wheelchair Umbrella by Sammons Preston
- Most Stylish: Double Layer Inverted Big C-Shaped
- Best Budget-Friendly: Versa-Brella Adjustable Umbrella
- Best for Beach Goers: The Beach Umbrella with Adjustable Clamp by AMMSUN
- Best Extra-Large Clamp Umbrella: G4Free Adjustable Outdoor Beach Chair Umbrella
Check the table below for a side-by-side comparison of our favorites!
Best 5 Wheelchair Umbrellas Review Guide
It can be difficult to hold/carry a classic umbrella in your hands and operate your manual wheelchair. And even the best wheelchairs don’t have built-in protection against the elements.
Fortunately, you don’t have to stay indoors in rainy/sunny weather, thanks to the invention of umbrellas for wheelchairs.
And we’re here with our top 5 reviews to help you pick up the best one for your wheelchair model.
#1 Winner: The Wheelchair Umbrella by Sammons Preston
If you’re looking for something stylish and durable, you can’t go wrong with Sammons Preston and their impressive wheelchair umbrella design.
- Blue and white in color
- Rain/sun protection
- Adjustable stem
- Universal clamp design
- 40″ in diameter when opened
- 36 inches of a total length
- Weighs 12.7 ounces
|Open up to 40 inches in diameter to ensure maximum protection against raindrops and UV rays||Some customers state that the clam’s design needs improvement|
|Adjustable umbrella stem||A user notes that the umbrella doesn’t perform well in windy weather|
|Attaches easily to most types of chairs|
|Easy to store|
Sammons Preston umbrellas open up to 40 inches in diameter to ensure maximum protection against raindrops and UV rays.
Moreover, this canopy shade boasts an adjustable umbrella stem so that you can position it at different angles for maximum coverage, depending on the weather.
Best of all, Sammons Preston wheelchair umbrella for rain and sun protection attaches easily to most types of chairs thanks to its unique, convenient design.
And this umbrella for wheelchairs collapses for storage when you don’t need it anymore. As such, it won’t take much space around the house or in your luggage.
Some customers state that the clam’s design needs improvement because it doesn’t stay secure to the wheelchair. A user also notes that the umbrella doesn’t perform well in windy weather.
How Does It Compare to Others and Why?
Unlike other attachable umbrellas, Sammons Preston’s item offers protection both from the sun, UV rays, and rain. It’s also very light and easy to use, even for people with disabilities.
How the Product Evolved
Sammons Preston doesn’t have any other umbrella products for comparison. But we’d like to see more color variation and a better clamp design to ensure stability.
- You can attach the mounting clamp to any suitable tube surface, not only wheelchairs.
#2 Most Stylish: Double Layer Inverted Big C-Shaped
If you’re looking for a colorful and stylish way to stay dry in your wheelchair, we’ve got just the thing for you!
- Alloy Steel frame
- C-shaped clamp
- Reverse design to keep you drier
- Steel ribs convert to legs so it can stand up on its own
- Weighs 1.1 pounds
- 31 x 1.9 x 1.9 inches
|Comes in 8 gorgeous color options||Some customers note that it doesn’t always open on the first try.|
|C-clamp lets you hold it or hook it onto your wheelchair||No warranty, but they do have a money-back guarantee|
|Super-strong steel ribs||While affordable, some say it doesn’t last long.|
We like these umbrellas for wheelchairs because they’re made with great care and come in several pretty colors to suit any taste.
Moreover, thanks to the C clamp, you can attach these umbrellas to any surface type, be it a wheelchair, a stroller, or a kitchen chair. You can even carry it hands-free by attaching it to your arm.
Best of all, the umbrella is strong enough to withstand winds and can protect your skin from harmful UV rays.
Several customers note that this umbrella doesn’t always open on the first try.
Also, while the vast majority of customers say that it lasted a long time, some say if you use it every day it doesn’t hold up well. Still, it’ll last at least as long as you’d expect for the price.
How Does it Compare to Others and Why?
Unlike other wheelchair umbrellas we’ve reviewed, this one is handmade, and you can adjust it to face any direction.
How the Product Evolved
The seller doesn’t have other similar products for comparison. But we’d like to see it available in different sizes.
- While it comes with a carrying bag, it’s a bit challenging to roll tight enough to fit into it. You may want to bring along a larger bag for it.
#3 Best Budget-Friendly: Versa-Brella Adjustable Umbrella
If you’re looking for affordable umbrellas for wheelchairs, Sport-Brella has you covered with its excellent selection.
- UPF 50 protection
- Universal clamp
- 4-way swiveling design with two buttons
- Made from PVC, PA6, fabric, and steel
- Weighs 1.8 pounds
- It opens to 40 x 42 inches
|Excellent choice for any manual wheelchair||Some customers note that Sport–Brella’s umbrellas don’t perform well in windy weather|
|Universal clamp that attaches to square and tubular surfaces||Customer service is very slow to respond to issues.|
|Made of heavy-duty material with UPF 50 protection||If the clamp breaks, the umbrella is rendered useless.|
|Light, versatile, and easy to install|
Sport-Brella’s shade canopy is an excellent choice for any manual wheelchair, thanks to its universal clamp that attaches to square and tubular surfaces.
Moreover, it’s made of heavy-duty material with UPF 50 protection to stop UV rays and protect your skin. And you can adjust it in any direction for maximum comfort and convenience.
Best of all, this umbrella for wheelchair users is light, versatile, and easy to install. And its affordable price makes it suitable for any budget.
Some customers note that Sport–Brella’s umbrellas don’t perform well in windy weather and that the clamp is flimsy.
If that clamp does break, there’s really no way to replace or fix it, so the umbrella becomes useless.
How does it Compare to Others and Why
Sport-Brella’s hands-free wheelchair umbrella has a UPF 50 protection factor, and they’re available in an extra-large size for bigger chairs.
How the Product Evolved
This portable umbrella is lighter than other models from Sport-Bella and smaller in size to accommodate chair users.
- You can attach this canopy shade to carts, strollers, and beach chairs.
- UPF 50 plus PROTECTION The Versa-brella is a clamp-on shade canopy umbrella that offers UPF 50 plus protection to help keep skin safe from 99.5% of UVA and UVB rays
- RUGGED COVER AND DURABLE CONNECTOR The rugged canopy cover won’t rip or tear; a heavy-duty universal clamp connects to square and tubular surfaces and ensures a secure hold on golf bags, strollers, beach chairs, or even bleachers
- ADJUSTS TO ANY ANGLE: The 4-way, 360-degree swivel and 2 push button hinges allows the Versa-brella to be adjusted to any angle to block the sun
- EASY TRANSPORT FOR EASY PROTECTION. The Versa-Brella conveniently folds into a compact carrying case, weighing only 1.8 pounds, so it can be taken anywhere. When opened, the Regular size spans 40 x 44 inches
- HAVE NO FEAR From the beach to the sidelines, the Versa-Brella lets you stay committed to your team, family, and friends, while keeping your skin protected against the sun
#4 Best for Beach Goers: The Beach Umbrella with Adjustable Clamp by AMMSUN
Umbrellas are a must to protect you from the sun, especially when you’re in a wheelchair and going on a beach vacation.
- Made from polyester and alloy steel
- UPF 50+
- 180-degree adjustment
- Portable iron clamp
- Weighs 1.87 pounds
- 43 inches in size
- Mounts to surfaces up to 1.38 inches
|Ergonomic design||Not suitable for bulky chairs|
|Allows you to adjust the angle for maximum protection||Some complaints about problems closing it.|
|Alloy steel frame is durable enough to withstand strong winds||Not ideal for super windy conditions.|
|Made from Oxford silver cloth with a UPF 50+ protection|
|Folds into a compact shape|
AMMSUN’s umbrellas impress with their ergonomic design, functionality, and stability.
This collapsible umbrella swivels 180-degrees to allow you to adjust the angle for maximum protection, while the alloy steel frame is durable enough to withstand strong winds.
Moreover, it’s made from Oxford silver cloth with a UPF 50+ protection factor to keep the harmful UV rays away from your skin.
And AMMSUN’s canopy folds into a compact shape so that you can carry it or store it in the matching carrying bag.
The biggest drawback of this wheelchair shade is that it’s not suitable for bulky chairs. It fits square and round surfaces up to 1.38″ in diameter.
How it Compares to Others and Why?
AMMSUN’s wheelchair hands-free umbrella stands up among the competition with its compact design and convenient storage case.
How the Product Evolved
- Lighter and more versatile compared to other AMMSUN’s canopy shades.
- AMMSUN has other large beach umbrellas with a sand anchor that might come in handy for wheelchair users.
- ☂ SUN PROTECTION: UPF50+ oxford silver cloth fabric can keep your skin safe from 99.5% UVA/UVB rays, the clamp umbrella spans 9.6 square feet when open, the 180-degree adjustment provides maximum sun protection in any direction.
- ☂ VERSATILE: Can clamp on round and square surface of strollers, wagons, bleachers or golf carts up to 1.38 inches.
- ☂ STABLE & DURABLE: Made of 8 steel ribs with a steel pole, which provides a stable structure and strong wind resistance.
- ☂ LIGHTWEIGHT & PORTABLE: Weighs only 1.87 lbs., folds up compactly into a matching carrying bag. Bring the clamp umbrella with you anywhere without a burden.
- ☂ An optional beach-chair is not included and must be purchased separately.
#5 Best Extra-Large Clamp Umbrella: G4Free Adjustable Outdoor Beach Chair Umbrella
Users with a larger wheelchair need a bigger canopy for proper protection from rain and sun. And G4Free doesn’t disappoint.
- UPF 50+
- High-density fabric with silver coating
- Universal adjustable clamp
- Portable carrying case
- 48.8 inches in diameter
- 34-inch long pole
|Suitable for different kinds of weather||Not the cheapest option|
|Reflects the heat to keep you cool||Some users note that the clamp is too weak and breaks easily|
|You can store the umbrella in its carrying case|
|The universal clamp allows you to install it on different surfaces|
Thanks to its high-density fabric and UPF 50+ protection factor, G4 Free’s umbrella with clamp is suitable for different kinds of weather.
It protects your skin from UV rays, reflects the heat to keep you cool, and is stable enough to withstand strong winds.
Moreover, you can store the umbrella in its carrying case when you don’t need it anymore, and the universal clamp allows you to install it on different surfaces.
It is not the cheapest option.
Some users note that the clamp is too weak and breaks easily.
How Does it Compare to Others and Why?
Unlike other models we’ve reviewed, you can remove the clamp and use G4’s product as a traditional umbrella.
How the Product Evolved?
- Larger than the traditional umbrellas offered by G4 free
- Lengthen curtain for better protection
- The umbrella might be too large for electric wheelchairs.
- UPF 50+ UV Protection Umbrella. UPF 50+ high rating blocks 99% of UVA and UVB rays; the curtain on the periphery of the umbrella provides a larger area to shield you from rays; 190T high density fabric with silver coating reflects heat to cool you down. This sun umbrella protects your skin to a greater extent and keeps you cool
- Universal Adjustable Clamp. The clamp can be installed vertically or horizontally , Universal to connect the square and tubular surfaces of armrest or support of the beach chairs, golf bags, wheelchairs, strollers, courtyards, boating, scooters, etc. Spring in the bottom handle allowing the umbrella to adjust to the right angle. The maximum clamp diameter is 1.5 inches
- Large Chair Umbrella. This shade canopy umbrella is 56 inch in arc canopy, 48.8 inch in diameter, with a 34 inch-long pole. Come with a portable carrying case, easy to carry and transport
- Stable and Sturdy Structure. This clamp on umbrella skeleton is made of fiberglass and metal material, lightweight, flexible and strong for performance. In addition to being fixed on a stroller, the umbrella with clamp removed can also be used alone
- One Year Warranty. The G4Free stroller umbrella is wind-proof, rain-proof and sun-proof. It is an excellent choice for pushing a stroller out of the house, giving your baby better care. We stand behind the durability of this product and provide a one-year warranty to it, welcome to contact us for any question
CHECK OUT: Best Wheelchair Cup Holder
What to Consider When Buying a Wheelchair Umbrella?
Now that wéve seen our top picks, let’s talk about what features you should consider when choosing a wheelchair shade.
The perfect umbrellas for wheelchairs should be made from durable material so that they don’t break apart.
Preferably, you want the material to have an ultraviolet protection factor. As specialists explain, umbrellas with UPF 50 “reduce your skin’s UV radiation exposure by 50 times.”
Most umbrellas and holders have a universal clamp design for attaching to different square and tubular surfaces.
But you should ensure that the canopy is large enough to provide coverage and that the umbrella height is right for you.
The ideal umbrella for wheelchairs should be flexible enough to allow you to adjust the angle for maximum protection against the elements.
Best Wheelchair Umbrellas FAQs
How to Install an Umbrella in the Wheelchair?
Most umbrellas for power wheelchairs and manual wheelchairs have a universal clamp, which you attach and tighten to chair handles or armrests.
How to Choose the Best Wheelchair Umbrella Holder?
Look for wheelchair umbrella holders made of durable material to ensure they can hold a large canopy without bending.
Moreover, pay attention to the clamp size to determine if it will fit your chair. And check what kinds of umbrellas are compatible with the holder.
Can We Attach the Umbrella on Wooden Chairs?
It depends on the type of umbrellas you’ve purchase and the size of the clamp. Some models are suitable for beach chairs, but not all.
A dermatology study concludes, “Any fully-functioning handheld umbrella can block more than three-quarters of ultraviolet light.”
As such, wheelchair umbrellas are a great way to protect your skin from sunburn and harmful UV rays. They also come in handy in harsh weather conditions.
Our Final Recommendation
- McMichael, Josette R., Emir Veledar, and Suephy C. Chen. 2013. “UV Radiation Protection by Handheld Umbrellas.” JAMA Dermatology 149 (6): 757. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamadermatol.2013.2519.
- staff, Science X. 2015. “Consumers Value Handmade Products: What’s Love Got to Do with It?” Phys.org. Phys.org. March 24, 2015. https://phys.org/news/2015-03-consumers-handmade-products.html.
- “Sun Protective Clothing – the Skin Cancer Foundation.” 2021. The Skin Cancer Foundation. May 28, 2021. https://www.skincancer.org/skin-cancer-prevention/sun-protection/sun-protective-clothing/.
What do you think about these 5 best wheelchair umbrellas? Which cute umbrella is your favorite? Share your opinion in the comment section.