Is it good to wear an ankle brace when you have foot arthritis?
Ankle osteoarthritis is described as swelling in your joints. Inflammation due to arthritis may reduce your range of movement and affect your quality of life.
So it is better to treat arthritis pain as soon as possible.
In this article, we will try our best to answer all your questions. So keep reading!
Don’t forget to check our review of the best ankle brace support stabilizer!
Table of Contents
Is it Good to Wear an Ankle Brace When You Have Foot Arthritis?
Your doctor or your physical therapist may prescribe alternative treatments to address your pain and limited movement when you’re diagnosed with inflammatory arthritis. One good approach is to wear a brace.
4 Types of Arthritis
One needs to know the nature of their ankle discomfort because some varieties of arthritis require specific treatments and medications. Some of the more common types of ankle arthritis are detailed here.
It is caused by normal joint wear and tear as we age. It is a condition where the cartilage that cushions a joint eventually wears away. This type of arthritis can develop from the previous injury and directly damage cartilage or alter the ankle joint’s function.
#2 Post-traumatic arthritis
It arises in the foot after an accident, even if it occurred years ago. This can cause early joint pain and deterioration.
#3 Rheumatoid arthritis
It affects your ankle joints. Antibodies produced by the body’s immune system cause Rheumatoid Arthritis.
develops when you have high amounts of uric acid in your diet. This irritates joints, causing discomfort and swelling in the big toe as well as other joints like the ankles.
When do you need to wear a brace for an ankle sprain? Check out this video:
Treatment of Arthritis
The following treatments and remedies for arthritis can be used based on your foot and ankle injury to help you improve your range of motion in daily living:
- Joint steroid injections
- Anti-inflammatories for swelling
- Pain relievers
- Shoe pads or arch supports
- Support canes or braces
- Shoe inserts (orthotics) for ankle and foot support
- Physical therapy
- Custom-fit comfortable shoes
- Ankle replacement
- For severe pain: consult with a health professional for surgical treatment (e.g., ankle fusion surgery)
Check the video below if you want to know the causes of arthritis in the foot and ankle:
Ankle Brace for Foot Arthritis
Those who live an active lifestyle and engage in high-impact activities may often seek pain relief solutions.
Wearing assistive devices like an effective brace to alleviate foot swelling and inflammation as well as to keep the area immobilized.
- POWERLIX Ankle Compression Brace
- TechWare Pro Ankle Compression Sleeve
- Bodyprox Ankle Brace For Women & Men
Related: Should I Wear an Ankle Brace to Bed? Check out this video:
Can a Brace Make Foot Arthritis Worse?
There are certain points the brace can make you feel uncomfortable. This is why it is important to know the cause of your Osteoarthritis.
Here are some points you need to know before wearing a brace.
Different Types of Braces to Treat OA
Different kinds of braces are available, and not all of them are suited for persons with OA.
- Prophylactic braces are protective devices that help keep you safe from injury, especially when having a wide range of activity.
- Functional/supportive braces provide the support you need for your injured joint.
- Rehabilitative braces restrict ankle motion or the movement of the joint in order to allow it to heal.
- Unloader or offloader is commonly used for people with arthritis to lighten the extra weight on crucial regions.
Moreover, wearing a brace varies depending on the location of your body injury. It is highly recommended to consult with a medical professional first and request a physical examination.
Drawbacks of Using an Ankle Brace
Ankle braces may not be an effective choice for people with arthritis. According to a trusted source, other people feel uncomfortable wearing one, and interfere with their daily activities because of its extra weight that makes them feel thick and cumbersome.
People also experience skin irritation due to an ill-fitting brace that causes friction to the skin. Moreover, while braces can help prevent joint swelling, some people suffer from it as a side effect that makes the pain worse.
How to Prevent Ankle Pain?
Here are some tips to prevent your ankle pain:
- Keep a healthy weight. Extra weight puts strain on joints.
- Strengthen your muscles to improve support on your ankles and lower the risk of injury.
- If the discomfort persists while doing an activity, stop. See a health professional if the pain exacerbates.
Benefits of Wearing a Brace
Wearing braces are a nonsurgical treatment for ankle osteoarthritis patients. Ankle braces are designed to transfer weight away from the injured area of your joint, reducing pain and discomfort.
Some braces provide compression that can help reduce swelling as well as relieve pressure. Also, it boosts your confidence when you have extra support in your daily life.
Check this video to get some handy tips on how to wear an ankle brace with shoes.
How many hours a day should you wear an ankle brace?
Always wear a brace while doing everyday activities to restrict movement and avoid future injuries.
Should I wear ankle brace while walking?
Yes. An ankle brace must be worn while walking to assist repair an injury.
Ankle discomfort is associated with several injuries and medical disorders. It is commonly experienced with osteoarthritis or foot arthritis.
There are treatments you can do at home to speed the recovery of injuries like wearing ankle braces for arthritis to help you get back on your feet without invasive treatments.
However, if pain persists for days, consult with your healthcare professional.
- Feintuch, Stacey. 2019. “Arthritis in the Ankle: Treatments, Exercises, and Home Remedies.” CreakyJoints. June 11, 2019. https://creakyjoints.org/symptoms/arthritis-in-ankle/.
- https://www.facebook.com/WebMD. 2008. “Arthritis in Foot and Ankle.” WebMD. WebMD. August 7, 2008. https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis/foot-ankle-osteoarthritis.
- Mushtaq, Saulat, Rabeea Choudhary, and Carla R. Scanzello. 2011. “Non-Surgical Treatment of Osteoarthritis-Related Pain in the Elderly.” Current Reviews in Musculoskeletal Medicine 4 (3): 113–22. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12178-011-9084-9.
- Nall, Rachel. 2017. “What Is the Best Type of Brace to Treat OA Pain?” Healthline. Healthline Media. February 9, 2017. https://www.healthline.com/health/types-of-osteoarthritis-braces#brace-types.
“Is it Good to Wear Ankle Brace When You Have Foot Arthritis?” We’d love to hear your thoughts on this topic in the comment section below!