A mobility scooter gives you freedom; it offers a new lease on life and the ability to reclaim your independence. But to improve your experience, you might consider increasing the range.
The good news is that you can upgrade your mobility scooter batteries to increase the range and give your scooter the performance boost it needs. It’s pretty easy to do as well. (1)
Of course, you do need to ensure that you follow the correct procedures for battery upgrades, and you should always have a professional carry out modifications to your mobility scooter.
- Mobility scooter batteries can be upgraded to increase their range.
- Replacement battery kits typically include the new battery, charger, and mounting brackets for installation.
- Upgrading a mobility scooter battery is often a simple task that can be performed with basic tools.
CHECK: Can You Revive Dead Electric Wheelchair Batteries?
Is it Possible to Upgrade Mobility Scooter Batteries?
It’s definitely possible to UPGRADE the batteries in your mobility scooter. Depending on your battery type, there are several options available such as lithium-ion or lead-acid batteries.
The key takeaway is that upgrading your mobility scooter’s battery can deliver a number of ADVANTAGES, including increased range and improved performance.
However, you should always ensure that a professional carry out ANY modifications.
What Should You Look for When Buying Mobility Scooter Batteries?
When you decide to buy NEW batteries for your mobility scooter, there are some features you will NEED to consider first. 
1. The Size of the Battery
The most important factor to consider is the SIZE of the battery. It needs to fit in the space available on your scooter, so you SHOULD measure up first.
Choosing a battery with ENOUGH capacity is also important to suit your needs. Batteries with HIGHER capacities generally last longer and provide more power for your mobility scooter.
Pro Tip: Upgraded batteries can be very chunky, and it is easy to misread measurements. Always triple-check.
2. The Battery Voltage
The voltage of the battery should ALSO be considered. Higher voltages mean more power is available, and they can last longer before recharging.
However, it is important to ensure you don’t EXCEED the maximum voltage limit for your mobility scooter, as this could cause damage.
3. The Quality of the Battery
Finally, you should always check the QUALITY of the battery.
Low-quality batteries may not last as long or provide enough power for your scooter, so it’s important to make sure that you get a good-quality one.
Pro Tip: Crystal mobility scooter batteries tend to be an excellent choice if you want good-quality batteries for mobility scooters.
4. The Type Of Battery
Most mobility scooters use either AGM or Gel batteries.
AGM batteries are more powerful and provide higher currents, while Gel batteries provide more stability, so they’re better for long-distance journeys.
AGM Batteries feature an Absorbent Glass Mat (AGM) mesh placed between their battery plates, making them ideal for powering scooters.
This specialized component ensures that the batteries have high resistance to vibrations and jolts while providing efficient charging capabilities.
Tips for Upgrading Your Mobility Scooter Batteries
Once you have chosen the RIGHT batteries for your scooter, there are some tips that you should keep in mind before installing them.
- Always read through the instructions first: This will ensure that you understand how to correctly install and maintain your new batteries.
- Wear safety gear when doing any modifications: This includes eye protection, protective gloves, and a face mask.
- Work in an open and well-ventilated area: This will ensure that any fumes created during the installation process are dissipated safely.
- Double-check all connections: Make sure that all the cables are securely connected before use.
- Test your mobility scooter after you have installed the new batteries: This will ensure that everything is working correctly.
- Charge your battery regularly: This will help to prolong the life of your batteries and keep them performing at their best.
Take a look at the following video to see how a battery upgrade can be done.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can You Use a Higher Amp Battery in Your Mobility Scooter?
Yes, it is possible to use a higher amp battery in your mobility scooter. However, you should always ensure that the battery’s voltage does not exceed the maximum voltage limit for your scooter.
Can You Put Lithium Batteries in Your Mobility Scooter?
Yes, you can install lithium batteries in your mobility scooter. However, you should check the manufacturer’s guidelines to ensure that it is compatible with your scooter before making any modifications.
Upgrading your mobility scooter batteries can be a GREAT way to increase the range and performance of your scooter.
However, you should ALWAYS ensure that a professional carry out any modifications and take into consideration the size, voltage, and quality of the battery BEFORE making your purchase.
Additionally, make sure to follow all SAFETY guidelines when installing the new batteries.
With the right care and maintenance, your mobility scooter should be able to last for MANY years to come.
- Jay A. What is the best battery to use in a mobility scooter? [Internet]. Dakota Lithium Batteries. 2023 [cited 2023 Jan 30]. Available from: https://dakotalithium.com/2023/01/05/what-is-the-best-battery-to-use-in-a-mobility-scooter/
- Can I Upgrade My Electric Scooter Battery? Mkbattery.com. Published 2023. Accessed January 5, 2023. https://www.mkbattery.com/blog/can-i-upgrade-my-electric-scooter-battery