Do you have a hard time finding wheelchair parts and wheelchair accessories for your type of wheelchair?
If that’s the case, you’ve come to the right place for tips and recommendations.
Just keep on reading.
Now, let’s start with a quick look at our top picks, then keep reading for all the glorious details.
Wheelchair Parts Top Picks at a Glance
If you see the value in these products and choose to purchase via my referral links, I may earn a small commission at no extra cost to you.
- Winner: Dual-Chamber Waterproof Gel Cushion
- Best Wheelchair Cover: Vive Rollator Travel Bag
- Best Wheelchair Cup Holder: Diestco Unbreakable Fabric Cupholder
- Best Lap Tray: DuraSoft Lap Tray
- Best Wheelchair Armrest Pads: Vive Armrest Covers (Pair)
Check the table below for a side-by-side comparison of our favorites!
5 Best Accessories for Wheelchair (Review Guide)
When something breaks in your manual/electric wheelchair, you don’t have to panic. Nowadays, you can replace almost all essential wheelchair parts.
Moreover, you’ve got plenty of wheelchair accessories to choose from. And the right accessories can make all the difference when it comes to your comfort and convenience.
But it’s natural to be overwhelmed by all the variety or struggle to find the best places to buy spare parts.
So, we’re going to talk about the best accessories for wheelchair users and where you can find wheelchair seat replacement parts.
#1 Winner: Dual-Chamber Waterproof Gel Cushion
Mobility specialists say, “Cushions are an integral part of an effective seating system.”
So, while the best wheelchairs are designed for maximum comfort, it’s never a bad idea to have an extra chair cushion.
- Fluid-resistant and fire-resistant
- Dual chambers
- Velcro straps
- Gel cushion
- A non-slip bottom
- Supports up to 300 lbs
- Weighs three pounds
- Available in four sizes
|Dual gel chamber and foam layer||Only comes in one color|
|Waterproofed and fire-resistant||Flattens after time|
|Has anti-mildew and anti-microbial properties||The gel to foam ratio is a bit low|
|Available in several sizes|
|Easy to attach|
This cushion accessory for wheelchairs has a dual gel chamber and foam layer for even pressure distribution and extra comfort.
This triple protection cushion is also waterproofed, fire-resistant, and easy to clean. As such, you don’t have to worry about spilling anything on it.
But that’s not all. The cushion has anti-mildew and anti-microbial properties to prevent bacteria from accumulating on the surface.
Moreover, the cushion is easy to attach to your transport chair, thanks to the convenient Velcro straps. And the non-slip bottom ensures the cushion stays firmly in place.
Best of all, these gel wheelchair cushions are available in several sizes to fit a standard manual wheelchair and large bariatric ones. And satisfied customers say it’s very comfortable.
These cushions are heavy, so they aren’t the best portable wheelchair cushions on the market. Some users also note that gel cushion slips more than they expected.
One customer also mentioned that the gel to foam ratio isn’t the best (meaning there is a lot more foam than gel).
How Does It Compare to Others and Why?
This gel and foam wheelchair cushion offers a great balance between features and price. It’s comfortable and has two dual gel chambers to dissipate heat and cool your body.
How Has the Product Evolved?
The manufacturer offers improved gel wheelchair cushions with a wedge design to prevent slipping.
- You can make a special request for custom cushions if you contact the manufacturer.
#2 Best Wheelchair Cover: Vive Rollator Travel Bag
Traveling when disabled is easier than ever, but you still need a wheelchair cover to protect your folding transport chair from damage. And Vive has just the thing for you.
- Pockets on each side
- Made from waterproof material
- Adjustable shoulder strap and carrying handles
- Dual tasseled zippers
- Measures 35” x 26” x 9.5”
- Suitable for rollators, walkers, and transport chairs
|Made from durable, water-proofed fabric||Doesn’t fit all chair models and types|
|TSA-approved||A bit bulky for some wheelchairs|
|Easy to store|
The Viva travel bag is one of the best wheelchair accessories you can get if you love traveling. It’s made from durable, water-proofed fabric to protect your transport chair.
As such, your chair won’t get scratched or chipped, no matter how you’re traveling. And since the cover is TSA-approved, you shouldn’t have any trouble during the check-in.
Best of all, Viva’s bag folds down into a compact shape for storage and won’t take space around the house when you don’t need it.
You can also put it in your vehicle’s trunk with no issues. And since it’s spacious, you won’t have to struggle to put the entire wheelchair inside.
Unfortunately, Viva’schair cover doesn’t fit all chair models and types. A customer also notes that it’s too spacious for some brands, such as the Drive Folding Transport chair.
How Does it Compare to Others and Why?
Vive’s wheelchair cover has a padded shoulder strap to ensure your comfort and a dual tasseled zipper so that you can close/open the bag with ease.
Moreover, it’s spacious with pockets for extra storage and more affordable than other models.
How the Product Evolved
Vive doesn’t have other covers, but they’ve got several bags that you can attach to your transport chair for extra storage space.
As for their travel bag, we’d like to see it available in different sizes to accommodate a wide range of brands.
- Check out the best wheelchair cover for travel for more recommendations.
- Measure your manual wheelchair well to ensure it will fit in the bag.
- MULTIPURPOSE TRAVEL BAG: Measuring 35” by 26” by 9.5”, the Vive travel bag holds most styles of rollators, walkers and hybrid transport chairs. Please measure your transport device prior to purchase to ensure your product will fit properly. The exterior of the bag also includes large pockets on each side for extra storage.
- ADDED PROTECTION AND CONVENIENCE: Enclosing a rollator, walker or hybrid transport chair, the TSA-approved Vive rollator travel bag makes traveling with a mobility aid easy and convenient. Constructed with a lightweight, waterproof material, the protective travel bag is durably designed for frequent travelers and is perfect for air travel and safe storage. The extra large rollator bag also folds down for compact storage when not in use.
- PADDED CARRY STRAPS: Comfortably carry the rollator travel bag with a padded shoulder strap or with the sturdy handles. The handles include a padded wrap that securely holds the handles together while traveling. Also lightly padded for greater comfort, the adjustable shoulder strap is removable with quick release buckles as necessary.
- FULL ZIPPER CLOSURE: Easy to open and close, the mobility aid travel bag features tasseled zippers for a comfortable grip. Dual zippers allow the top of the bag to fully open for easy access.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60 day guarantee so you can purchase now with confidence.
#3 Best Wheelchair Cup Holder: Diestco Unbreakable Fabric Cupholder
Finding a place to rest your beverage can be hard when you’re in a wheelchair and want to keep your coffee/water close by. But you can solve this problem with a cup holder.
- Made from polyester
- A cord with a lock
- Available in different mounting styles
- Suitable for most chair models
- Fits drinks up to 32 oz
|Attaches easily||Some users note that the fabric holder isn’t as stable as expected|
|Converts into a small bag||Not the cheapest option|
|Have a cord with a lock to keep your drinks stable|
|Made of polyester|
Thanks to its innovative design and functionality, Diestco’s unbreakable cupholder is one of the best manual wheelchair accessories you can purchase.
Diestco’s product attaches easily to most armrests and converts into a small bag for storage when you don’t need a cup holder.
Best of all, you have a cord with a lock to keep your drinks stable while traveling. And since the cup holder is made of polyester, you don’t have to worry about breaking.
Some users note that the fabric holder isn’t as stable as expected and that the drinks are flopping around. It’s not also the cheapest option.
How Does it Compare to Others and Why
Unlike plastic/metal cupholder, Diestco’s product won’t break or damage if you catch it in the door. It’s also easy to attach to most armrests, including mobility scooters and office chairs.
How Does the Product Evolve
Diestco has improved its design to ensure better visibility with a 300-yard reflexive tape.
- Check out the best cup holder for wheelchair for more recommendations.
- You can select from three mounting styles: front horizontal, vertical, and horizontal.
#4 Best Lap Tray: DuraSoft Lap Tray
A lap tray is another cool wheelchair accessory that comes in handy when you can’t get your chair to line up with a table or a desk.
- A water-resistant cover
- Measures 24″x 16″
- Suitable for full-length armrests or deck ones
|Easy to attach||Fits only standard model chairs|
|Covered with water-resistant fabric||Not the most stylish|
|Easy to clean|
The greatest benefit of the DuraSoft tray is that it’s easy to attach to most standard manual chairs. You can flip it aside when you need it out of the way.
Moreover, the tray is covered with water-resistant fabric and cleans easily if you spill something on it.
It’s also easy to clean, and you can adjust it forward for maximum comfort. The tray also doesn’t move side to slide or slide so that you can do any work on it.
Unfortunately, this lap tray fits only standard model chairs. It’s also not the cheapest option on the market.
How Does it Compare to Others and Why?
Unlike other lap trays, DuraSoft is made of ultra-soft fabric to relieve pressure and ensure the user’s comfort.
It doesn’t have a cup holder spot like other trays, but it’s suitable for full-length and deck-style armrests.
How the Product Evolved
- The DuraSoft product is also available as a half-tray with raised edges and swiveling mechanism.
- Depending on the mounting system, you may have to pay extra.
#5 Best Wheelchair Armrest Pads: Vive Armrest Covers (Pair)
Manual chairs don’t have the most comfortable armrests, which can lead to arm sores and aches. But Vive has just the thing to fix this problem.
- Faux sheepskin
- Memory foam layer
- 12.75 inches long
- 8.5 inches in circumferences
- It fits most manual chairs.
|Designed to prevent soreness, pain, and skin irritations||Don’t fit all power chairs|
|Hypoallergenic, latex-free||Only two color options|
|60-day money-back guarantee|
|Holds tight and prevents slipping|
Vive’s armrest covers are designed to prevent soreness, pain, and skin irritations by distributing arm pressure evenly. As such, your elbows and arms won’t ache at the end of the day.
Moreover, these covers are hypoallergenic, latex-free, and easy to attach. They fit transport chairs, manual wheelchairs, office chairs, and even scooters.
Best of all, you’ve got a 60-day money-back guarantee. And users say the Velcro holds tight and prevents slipping.
Unfortunately, these armrest covers don’t fit all power chairs and can be too short for some manual ones with full-deck rests.
How Does it Compare to Others and Why
Compared to other armrest covers, Viva’s product is affordable, well-made, and has great customer reviews. It’s also sold in pairs.
How the Product Evolved
No information about previous designs, but we’d like to see different arms styles.
- You can wash the armrests with mild soap and let them air dry.
- Viva also has padding for knee scooters.
- PLUSH CUSHIONING: Providing exceptional comfort, our Cushioned Sheepskin Armrest Pads relieve painful pressure on your elbows and arms. Hypoallergenic, synthetic sheepskin protects against soreness, skin irritation, and nerve pain.
- MEMORY FOAM LAYER: A thick, breathable layer of memory foam gently supports your elbows and arms. It evenly distributes pressure, relieving nerve pain and soothing sore spots.
- FITS STANDARD WHEELCHAIRS, OFFICE CHAIRS, AND MORE: Measuring 12.75” in length, our Cushioned Sheepette Armrest Pads provide full armrest coverage and can be used a variety of devices: standard wheelchairs, transport chairs, mobility scooters, office chairs, and more. Easy to install, the cushions fit armrests up to 8.5” in circumference.
- NONSLIP DESIGN: Our Ergonomic Armrest Pads are latex-free and are also lined with a textured material, which eliminates slipping and sliding.
- VIVE GUARANTEE: 60-day guarantee, so you can purchase now with confidence.
Where to Find Wheelchair Parts for Sale?
Even a high-quality wheelchair gets flat tires or needs a replacement footrest. So, where can you shop for wheelchair supplies?
Well, it depends on what parts you’re looking for and what brand your chair is. But we’re going to give you several recommendations.
1800wheelchair.com is one of the best sites to shop for replacement parts for popular brands, such as Medline, Drive Medical, and Nova, among few.
As the website specifies, they offer “a variety of replacement parts made by the original manufacturer.” No need to worry that a certain part won’t fit.
They also have an excellent selection of accessories for power wheelchairs, lift chairs, scooters, and walkers. And shipping is free for orders over $59.
Being one of the largest online marketplaces, Amazon won’t disappoint when you’re looking for replacement parts for your chair.
A simple search query for wheelchair replacement parts is enough to find casters, swing-away footrests, and chair arm pads, for example.
However, not all replacements are from the original manufacturer or in stock. Some parts are compatible with several brands, such as Drive, Invacare, or Medline.
Check your chair‘s model carefully to ensure you purchase the right parts.
The good thing about Amazon and 1800wheelchair.com is that they offer price discounts and fast shipping.
But when they don’t have what you need, you can check the original manufacturer’s website to find replacement bearings, rear-wheel replacements, and replacement hardware.
And you can always speak with their product consultants to ensure you’ve got the right product and at the lowest price.
What Are the Parts of a Wheelchair?
The main components of a wheelchair are tires, wheels, casters, footrests, armrests, a seat, push handles, brakes, and a frame. Power chairs also have power wheelchair batteries, chargers, and joysticks.
Depending on the brand/model, you can get almost all of these replaced at a reasonable price.
Where Can I Buy Wheelchair Parts?
You can buy parts at various online shops, such as Amazon and 1800wheelchairs.com, or by contacting the manufacturer.
Can You Buy Wheels for Wheelchairs?
Yes, you can. Most wheels aren’t hard to replace as long as you have the right model and the right tools. Check out this video for a demonstration.
When buying wheelchair parts and accessories, you should ensure they’re compatible with your manual/power chair brand.
Moreover, ensure you know how wide is a standard wheelchair if you’re buying portable wheelchair ramps or attachments that can get in the way.
- “How to Choose the Right Cushion Medium for Your Client’s Needs — Mobility Management.” 2016. Mobility Management. 2016. https://mobilitymgmt.com/articles/2010/07/01/cushion-medium.aspx.
- “Wheelchair Accessories | Accessories for Manual & Power Wheelchairs.” 2021. 1800wheelchair.com. 2021. https://www.1800wheelchair.com/category/296/wheelchair-accessories/.
What are your favorite wheelchair parts and accessories? Where do you shop for wheelchair parts? We’d love to hear your comments below!
Grigorina discovered that writing is her vocation early in her school years. Since then, she’s taken part in several literary contests. For the past three years, she’s also been an ELS teacher, pouring her heart into showing children and adults how important English is for their future. She has a Bachelor’s degree in Applied Linguistics, an ESL Teacher’s degree, and a Master’s degree in Accounting. Follow her on FACEBOOK AND INSTAGRAM. Read her LATEST POSTS. Learn more about her HERE.