Are you looking for bariatric knee braces to reduce knee pain or regain mobility during the post-surgery period?
As you’ll find out, getting the right brace size makes all the difference, but it’s hard to choose one among so many.
Fortunately, we’re here to narrow down your options with our best plus-size knee brace reviews.
Start with a quick look at our top picks, then read on for more details about each
Table of Contents
Top Bariatric Knee Braces at a Glance
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase at no extra cost to you.
- Best Customizable Option: Vertaloc Dynamic Knee Brace
- Top Brace with Heavy-Duty Hinges: BraceAbility Plus Size Knee Brace
- Most Affordable Knee Brace: TechWare Pro Knee Brace Support
- Knee Brace with the Best Warranty: Athledict’s Hinged Knee Brace
- Best Compression Knee Brace: Shock Doctor’s Hinged Brace
5 Best Plus Size Bariatric Knee Braces
When you walk, specialists say, “the pressure on your knees is three to six times more than your body weight.”
Being obese or overweight puts extra pressure on the knee joints and increases the risk of joint diseases, such as osteoarthritis.
That’s where bariatric knee braces come into the picture to provide extra knee stability and prevent joint paint. Moreover, according to studies, braces “significantly reduced pain during level walking.“
So, let’s see the best bariatric knee braces for obese and overweight people.
Vertaloc has a versatile knee brace that impresses with its design, quality, and performance.
It provides great medial and lateral ligament support, so it’s perfect for knee instability and an excellent alternative to using walking canes for stability.
This bariatric knee brace boasts a durable, breathable fabric to ensure maximum comfort and unrestricted blood flow. No matter how long you wear the brace, your skin won’t chafe or blister.
Moreover, the open-patella design and the breathable material increase airflow without compromising the brace’s compression and heat-retaining abilities.
Imagine a soothing warmth that encompasses your knee and reduces pain and inflammation. And all this without getting too sweaty underneath the brace.
But wait – there’s more.
Vertaloc’s knee pain brace has adjustable hinges for optimum functionality. You or your doctor can customize the range of motions to ensure that the brace is tight without restricting your movements.
We also like this dynamic knee brace because it’s easy to maintain. You can wash it by hand whenever it gets dirty.
And if that’s not enough, the manufacturer gives you one year of warranty.
Customers note that the brace provides sufficient supports and stability for arthritis and that it’s made of high-quality material.
An Amazon reviewer calls it “an awesome product, ” while another states that they “can finally walk without a walker” thanks to Vertaloc’s brace.
- Adjustable knee brace
- Open-patella design
- Breathable fabric
- Available in different sizes
- Hand washable
- Some customers note that the brace is bulkier than they expected.
- Not the cheapest option
compression and bariatric knee support on both sides.
TechWare Pro’s brace also has an open-patella design to reduce the pressure around the kneecap and four spring stabilizers for flexibility.
But what does this mean for you?
The brace is highly effective at providing the right amount of compression to soothe knee injuries and strains without compromising the blood flow.
The design also ensures that you’ve got mobility while your knee gets the necessary stability to prevent injury aggregation.
More importantly, the brace doesn’t slip during physical activities, making it perfect for active people and those that love playing sports.
Furthermore, TechWare Pro’s bariatric knee braces are made of lightweight neoprene with moisture-wicking properties to ensure your knees don’t get sweaty.
The breathable material also prevents skin irritations and provides optimum flexibility when you walk, run, or jump.
You can also adjust the support level to suit your needs, and the brace is available in X large and XX-large sizes.
Customers state that TechWare is one of the best knee braces for large thighs and that the bidirectional support makes it better than other braces and knee sleeves.
An Amazon reviewer says that they can “put full weight on the leg without feeling pain,” while another describes it as a “perfect fit” for large thighs.
- An open-patella design
- breathable neoprene material
- A bidirectional strap system
- Non-slip silicone straps
- Fits left or right knee
- Available only in two large sizes
- Not the cheapest option
Who Needs This Knee Brace?
TechWare Pro’s plus-size knee brace provides pain relief from knee osteoarthritis, meniscus tears, bursitis, tendonitis, knee joint inflammation, and swelling.
It’s also suitable for runner’s knee, hiking, jogging, and other physical activities because it’s designed to accommodate maximum exercise. You can also wear it when doing stretching exercises.
- ADJUSTABLE UNIQUE BiDIRECTIONAL SUPPORT Alternating Strong Closures Stabilize Patella to Reduce Knee Pain. Others Have Straps on One Side Which Provide Uneven Support. PLEASE MEASURE Circumference Around Knee and Thigh for PROPER FIT (see Sizing Chart Image). Choose from 4 Sizes - Medium, Large, Extra Large and XXLarge. Mens, Ladies & Youth.
- OPEN PATELLA DESIGN For Support and Compression Around the Kneecap and Tendon Areas to Heal Knee Injuries. Also 4 Flexible Spring Stabilizers Provide Better Knee Cap Protection and Stability.
- BREATHABLE MOISTURE WICKING LIGHTWEIGHT NEOPRENE AND NO SLIP SILICONE STRIPS Ensures That Compression is Comfortable, Uniform and Stays in Place for Any Physical Activity.
- COMFORTABLE SUPPORT PAIN RELIEF From Tears, Arthritis, Bursitis and Tendonitis. Gel Pad Helps with Inflammation and Swelling. Better Knee Mobility and Exercise Performance.
- MAXIMUM SUPPORT for Runners Knee. If Your Game is Basketball, Football, Tennis, Volleyball, Weightlifting, Skiing, Running, Jogging, Walking, Hiking, Wrestling, Yoga, Gymnastics, Squats, Baseball, Martial Arts, Golf, Hockey, Dance, Soccer, Powerlifting, Gym Workouts, Cycling or Any Sports Activities.
Who Needs This Brace?
These bariatric knee braces are suitable for various knee ligament sprains, bursitis, tendonitis, arthritis, jumper’s knee, sports injury, and post-surgery recovery.
It’s an excellent choice for obese people who shouldn’t put extra weight on their knees and need something more supportive than a knee sleeve.
- ✅LIFETIME WARRANTY + NO RETURNS NEEDED If You Are Unhappy! - Innovation Often Causes Some Trouble... This New Design of Knee Brace Has Proven to be Most Effective, BUT There Was Problem: Hinges Ripped Through Brace in Some Situations - We Listened and Now FIXED It for Good! And We Warrant it with LIFETIME Warranty. If It Doesn't Last, Keep It and We'll Refund You in Full! Just Contact Us.
- ✅START MOVING AGAIN - PAIN FREE! This Versatile Knee Support Will Allow Full Range of Movement While Protecting, Recovering and Relieving Pain in Your Knee. Removable Hinges and Highly Adjustable Strap Allow You to Choose How Much Support You Get at Any Time!
- ✅WILL IT WORK FOR YOU??? This Knee Brace Offers Multiple Ways of Wearing and Medium to High Support Level, Depending How You Adjust It, For Arthritis, MCL, ACL PCL, Patellar Tendon, Jumpers Knee, Post Surgergy Recovery, Osteoarthritis, Meiscus Tear, Bursitis, Sports Injuries. Works Best While Recovery, Running, Biking, Hiking even Weightlifting or Sports like Basketball, Soccer and Baseball
- ✅DOESN'T PINCH BACK OF YOUR KNEE! Reversed Open Patella Design Ensures Comfort at the Back of Your Knee. This Also Allows You to Customize Open Patella Space. Hinges Have Extra Cushioning From Inside to Prevent Discomfort As Well!
- ✅FINALLY! SUPPORT & PROTECTION for Your Knee That Is COMFORTABLE All Day! New Design with Front Opening Have Been Found to Be Up to 2x As Much Comfortable and Supportive as Old Knee Brace Design!
If you’re looking for an extra-large knee brace to deal with chronic pain, knee swelling, or sore knee joints, this heavy-duty hinged brace won’t disappoint.
Unlike other braces, Shock Doctor’s knee brace boasts a stretchable Lycra mesh material with antimicrobial technology and increased airflow.
That’s great because the material reduces odor, prevents moisture, and eliminates bacteria to ensure your comfort when wearing the brace.
The heavy-duty bilateral hinges and aluminum stays also make this obesity knee pain brace stand among other models. They provide sufficient support without restricting blood circulation or chafing the skin.
Moreover, the plus-size neoprene knee brace is designed to lift and compress. As such, it provides therapeutic warmth that soothes sore tendons, muscles, and joint sprains.
But wait – there is more.
Shock Doctor’s bariatric knee braces have an x-fit strap system to keep the brace from sliding and slipping. And it won’t restrict your movements too much.
Customers state that they’re impressed with the design and performance of Shock Doctor’s brace and that it’s the best for active people.
An Amazon reviewer notes that the brace “fits very snugly, ” while another customer says, “it stays where I put it.
- Latex-free material
- Comfortable neoprene
- Antimicrobial technology
- Heavy-duty hinges
- Integrated aluminum stays
- Some users indicate that the size chart is off and that the measurement instructions are wrong.
- Not the cheapest option.
- Available in only two large sizes – XL and XXL
Who Needs This Brace?
The brace is suitable for moderate to major muscle strains, ligament strains, joint pain, and sports injuries.
It’s also an excellent choice for blown-out knees, hypertension, meniscus tears, and medial/lateral instabilities.
What to Consider When Buying Bariatric Knee Braces?
Now that you’ve seen our top obesity knee pain braces let’s talk about what features are important when shopping for knee braces.
A compression knee brace that’s too tight can compromise your blood circulation and cause unbearable pain.
On the other hand, a loose knee brace is likely to slip and fall when you move around and won’t do much good in terms of knee support.
To get the most accurate measurement, you should measure not only your knee’s circumference but also six inches below and above the knee.
In this way, you ensure that the brace won’t be too tight above or below and that you can put it on without much effort.
Some manufacturers might have specific instructions on how to measure to ensure the best possible fit. Make sure that you check these instructions as well as the provided size charts.
The material also matters when you’re getting a knee brace because some fabrics might retain too much heat or cause an allergic skin reaction.
The best bariatric knee braces are made of flexible, breathable, moisture-wicking material to ensure maximum comfort.
Usually, that’s neoprene, but other fabrics are also acceptable as long as they allow your skin to breathe and don’t allow bacteria and sweat to accumulate on the inside.
Moreover, make sure that the brace is made of easy-to-maintain material so that you can wash it by hand or in the washing machine.
Types of Braces
To get the most of a knee brace, you have to pick the right type, which suits the type of injury and knee problems you have.
In general, we can divide knee braces into five categories:
- Knee sleeves. They’re flexible, easy to use, and great for mild knee injuries, soreness, and pain.
- Wraparound braces. They provide better support than sleeves and are easy to wrap around the problematic knee area.
- Hinged knee braces. Hinges braces keep your knee in proper alignment and protect it from further damage. They’re best post-surgery and for moderate to serious knee injuries.
- Knee straps. Straps are designed to prevent patella injuries and compress your patella tendons.
- Open and close patella braces. Open patella braces keen pressure off the knee cap, while closed ones compress it.
If you’re looking for seniors’ knee braces to deal with chronic pain or mild sprains, knee compression sleeves can be an excellent cheap option.
Most bariatric knee braces seal heat into the knees, which improves blood circulation, which speeds up recovery time and reduces swelling, pain, and inflammation.
As such, bariatric knee braces allow you to remain mobile without putting too much body weight on the knees and decrease the chance of future damage.
However, most types of knee braces can’t prevent injuries, but they can lessen the risk of knee problems and knee strains, especially for obese people.
So, for serious knee injuries, osteoarthritis, ligament tears, you should consult with your doctor about the right type of brace.
When you’re buying a knee brace, another factor to consider is the level of protection it provides for your knees.
The level of protection determines how much support a knee brace provides. Levels range from 1 to 3+, with one being the lowest.
Usually, compression knee sleeves are level 1 because they compress the knee but don’t restrict its movements.
Most hinged knee braces are level 3 since they’re heavy and restrict the knee’s movement to help in the recovery process.
Knee straps and wraparound braces fall into level 2 because they provide mild to moderate knee support and stability.
Bariatric Knee Brace FAQs
How Do Bariatric Knee Braces Actually Work?
Bariatric knee braces take off some of the excessive weight you put on your knees when you walk, run, jump, and move around. A brace also restricts your range of motion and doesn’t allow you to strain your knee muscles/joints too much. Since you can’t put your whole weight on the joint, it’s under less stress and has a chance to heal.
Is it OK to Wear a Knee Brace All Day?
In general, you shouldn’t wear your plus-size knee braces all day long, but only when you’re physically active or at risk of a knee injury. Longer use is recommended only for serious injuries or after surgical procedures. Otherwise, you risk weak ligaments and future joint problems.
What is the Difference Between a Knee Brace And a Knee Sleeve?
Knee sleeves are pieces of fabric that you slip over your knee. They provide compression, increase the blood flow to the injured area, and provide light support. Sleeves also don’t reduce your range of motion and don’t immobilize the knee. As such, they aren’t effective for supporting your knee after a serious injury and can’t support your ligaments.
Should You Wear a Knee Brace on Both Knees?
You can wear one on both knees if you need extra stability and have chronic pain. You can also wear a brace on both knees when you’re physically active to reduce the risk of injury, sprains, and strains. Please check with your doctor first.
Wearing a brace isn’t a perfect solution. A brace can reduce swelling/pain and prevent further damage to the joints and ligaments, but it can’t fix the underlying problem.
If you’re obese or overweight, your knees are under a lot of stress to support your excess weight. A brace can help relieve some of the stress and delay the onset of symptoms.
But the brace can’t make your knees strong enough to bear your full weight without risk of future injuries. And it can’t reverse any permanent damage caused by osteoarthritis.
Instead, you can work on strengthening your knees muscles with proper strengthening exercises. Strong knee muscles can absorb shock better when you walk and relieve some of the joint stress.
Obesity puts extra pressure on your knees and increases your chances of osteoarthritis and other knee problems when you get older.
Bariatric knee braces are an excellent choice to relieve some of the excessive stress on your knees, prevent further joint damage, and deal with knee instability.
When used early, braces can even delay the onset of pain and inflammation in your knee joints and muscles and make it easy to walk around without pain.
However, you should consult with your doctor or orthopedist before you use any type of knee brace. Incorrect brace use can weaken your knees and cause further damage.
Also, talk to your doctor about when and for how long you should wear your brace. As experts explain it, “the knee relies on the stability provided by the brace,” and that’s bad for long-term use because it weakens the joints and ligaments.
Our #1 Choice
While all these bariatric knee braces for large legs will do an excellent job at stabilizing your knees and minimizing your discomfort, there’s one that stands among the rest.
We’re talking about BraceAbilities’s plus-size knee brace. It’s our top recommendation because it’s one of the few braces available in several extra-large sizes and fits most people with large legs.
Moreover, BraceAbility’s bariatric knee brace is made of premium-grade neoprene with an open-patella design and removable hinges.
As such, you can customize the brace easily to fit the amount of support and stability that your knees require.
What do you think about these five best bariatric knee braces? Have you ever used a knee brace, and which one is the best according to you? Share your experience in the comment section.