Are you having trouble finding the best AFO for foot drop?
Then you’ll want to check our buying guide to discover the best walking aids for foot drag.
Just keep on reading.
In a hurry and need something right away? Check our top recommendations below.
READ MORE: How Does an AFO Help Drop Foot?
FYI, this post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase.
Best AFO for Foot Drop Top Picks at a Glance
- Push Ortho Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO)
- Drop Foot Brace (Left Foot – L/XL) by Step-Smart
- Medium Size Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) Support for Foot Drop by MARS WELLNESS
- Soft AFO Drop Foot Brace by Furlove
Check this comparison table for a quick guide. Read the review for further details.
6 Best AFO for Foot Drop (Comprehensive Review Guide)
A drop foot means that you have difficulties lifting the front part of the foot. As a result, you might drag the toes along the ground when you walk.
It’s not a disease but a result of an underlying medical condition, such as neurological disorders, nerve injury, muscle weakness, and brain/spinal cord problems.
Depending on the underlying issue, it might be a temporary condition or a permanent one.
In both cases, doctors might recommend splints or ankle-foot orthosis braces (AFOs) to keep your feet in the correct position.
Fortunately, technology has improved in recent years, so the best AFOs can vastly improve the quality of life and allow people to stand and walk as before.
In some cases, the best foot drop braces might also allow you to get back to jogging and regain stability of every moment.
However, finding the best types of AFO braces for your needs might be a challenge. But that’s why we’re here to talk about the best AFO devices.
The Best AFO for Foot Drop – Feature and Price Comparison
1. Push Ortho Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO)
The Push Ortho AFO brace is not the cheapest option by a long shot, but it’s worth every last penny if you need a quality brace that will hold up against anything you throw at it.
This lightweight brace provides support for foot drop and can make walking again safe and enjoyable. The innovative design makes for a natural gait so you don’t have to disrupt your routine!
It works by providing lateral stability to your ankle joint and supporting your foot while counteracting inversion. That’s all a very fancy way of saying “it holds your foot in just the right position.”
The best part? It works with ANY type of shoe, so you don’t have to spend extra money on a special pair. You can even use it with slippers!
|Wear it with any type of shoe you want, including slippers||It’s one of the most expensive options by far|
|You can wear it at night as a splint||Only three sizes|
|Added flexibility for easy walking on all terrain, including stairs||Not the cheapest option|
|Very light and comfortable for an AFO brace||Can’t return it once worn|
In this video, I’ll show you how to wear an AFO brace for added ankle and foot support:
2. Drop Foot Brace (Left Foot – L/XL) by Step-Smart
Restoring your natural gait is no longer mission impossible thanks to Step-Smart and their innovative product that provides functionality and comfort at the same time.
Step-Smart offers you a highly energy-efficient and competitive brace for foot drag.
It features a natural toe break, a 3/4footplate to retain feeling and flexibility in the toes, and bumpers for individualized resistance.
But Step-Smarts beat the competition with their excellent shock-absorption and Jacob Joint technology. It strives to give you freedom of movement while keeping your foot stable.
Step-Smart design provides resistance at the right time – at the second when your heel fits the ground to avoid damage and injury to your feet and ankles.
The bumpers also provide three resistance levels that allow people with foot problems to find the right combination for their individual needs.
This AFO low-profile brace is also lightweight, easy to wear, and available in small, medium, large, and extra-large sizes. It’s the perfect choice for people dealing with severe calcaneus pain and trauma.
However, some users complain that the Step-Smart model doesn’t fit their shoes/boots and causes blisters.
|¾ footplate allows easy and comfortable walking||Not very comfortable design|
|S/M/L/XL size||It doesn’t fit all shoe styles|
|Jacob Joints design shock absorption at heel strike||Not the cheapest option|
|Easy to use|
- The best foot brace for drop foot
- More energy efficient than competitive stiff & loadless designs
- Low profile, easy to use & comfortable
- Color: Black
3. Medium Size Ankle Foot Orthosis (AFO) Support for Foot Drop by MARS WELLNESS
MARS Wellness has been a leader in the field of medical supplies and equipment for years, so it’s not surprising that their product is among our picks.
Their AFO features a 3/4 footplate for optimal flexibility and comfort for the toes. You can trim the thinner footplate easily with scissors to make it fit your favorite shoes.
Its anatomical design prevents calcaneus (heel) pain/irritation and compensates for atrophy, and provides lateral stability and dorsiflexion assistance to ensure a proper position.
More importantly, MARS Wellness’ AFO supports the entire foot-ankle area and has a padded hook-and-loop strap to prevent irritations and blisters.
Thanks to the straps, it’s easy to secure the AFO on your feet, and the streamlined profile also ensures that the AFO fits most types of shoes.
The MARS Wellness braces are available in several different sizes and are suitable for both men and women.
|Provides lateral stability and support||It might be visible|
|Anatomical design||Requires time to get used to it|
|For mild and moderate foot drop|
|Versatile shoe fit|
|Great for nerve palsy condition and heel cord tightness|
|A padded strap|
- Designed to aid in foot drop that is secondary to CVA or nerve palsy as well as heel cord tightness, and to support the foot in a proper position.
- Anatomical design compensates for atrophy and avoids calcaneus irritation
- To be used for mild to moderate drop foot
- 3/4 length footbed for optimal flexibility of toes
- Excellent fit for most types of shoes
4. Soft AFO Drop Foot Brace by Furlove
This soft AFO brace by Furlove deserves our attention because it provides ease of movement, stability, and comfort.
This model is free size, meaning that it fits most adult feet, so you don’t have to worry about ordering the wrong size.
Moreover, it’s suitable for people with Achilles tendonitis, calf spasm, dorsiflexion injury, or plantar fasciitis. Stroke patients might also benefit from it.
One of Furlove’s main advantages is that the ankle wrap is made of breathable, 3-layer material for comfort and sweat reduction.
The rest of the brace is made of velvet cloth, sponge, plastic sheet, and nylon.
You can wear the AFO for long periods of time without worrying about blisters, skin irritation, or sores. It’s so well-cushioned that you won’t even notice it’s there!
Furthermore, you can use these braces with laced shoes, slip-on shoes, or even barefoot, thanks to the interchangeable inserts and removable sole!
Moreover, Furlove’s assistive devices are completely adjustable thanks to the magic paste closure and the contact buckles. It’s easy to pun on/off, which is what you might need while in recovery.
But what users love about Furlove is that the company gives you a lifetime guarantee and lifetime technical support!
|Excellent support and firmness||The velcro strap doesn’t stick well, according to users.|
|Easy to put on|
|Made of breathable foam material and pleasant velvet cloth|
- High Quality Material: Made of velvet fabric, sponge, plastic sheet and nylon tape,Cushioned ankle wrap that is made of breathable, 3-layer material which can be worn for long periods of time that is comfortable to wear
- Day & Night Protection: The sole part can be removed during the day, and then used together with shoes with shoelaces, and the sole part and the ankle part can be connected at night to correct the use, so as to prevent rebound
- Free size and Easy to Adjust: One size fits most adults,Contact buckles and Magic paste closures make it easy to adjust as needed, both OK for right and left feet. For the maximum ankle circumference: 11.8 inches
- Suitable for People: Stroke foot drop, plantar fasciitis,achilles tendonitis, muscular dystrophy, Neuromuscular weakness ,etc. Revolutionary orthodontics provides visible improvement in gait that offers support for drop foot or similar complaints HEALSMILE
- Extra Gift: Package came with One more extra enhanced replacement connect strap, double technical support, help you recovery soon and safe
5. Foot Drop Splint AFO Brace (M-Left) by OrthomenNo products found.
The next splint on our list of the best AFO braces for foot drag is offered by Otrhomen. It’s suitable for drop foot due to hemiplegia, peroneal nerve injury, and sciatica nerve lesions.
Stroke recovery patients who have mobility problems could also benefit from this brace because it keeps the feet firm and stable.
Besides providing great medial/lateral support for the ankles, Orthomen also improves toe clearance and supports the entire foot area. It’s also beneficial for resisting spastic muscle tone, common in foot drop.
To give you the option to adjust the brace to your leg, the manufacturer designed a brace of thin footplate that is easy to trim with scissors.
Still, the thick polyurethane on the vertical aspect gives your legs rigidity and firmness while walking. The padded hook-and-loop straps also ensure support around the calf.
Moreover, this AFO brace is light, durable, and available in four different sizes. Its streamlined profile also ensures that it fits most shoes.
|Versatile||Some of the customers find it too small for their feet.|
|Adjustable to your calf|
|Provides lateral stability and dorsiflexion assistance|
|Supports entire foot and ankle|
|Padded hook-and-loop straps|
No products found.
6. Soft AFO Foot Drop Brace by BraceAbility
BraceAbility has one of the best AFO for foot drop on the market that can help you walk without pain or discomfort.
The Ability brace is suitable for people with nerve disorder diagnosis, stroke, dorsiflexion injuries, or muscle disorders.
It alleviates foot and heel pain caused by plantar fasciitis, diabetic neuropathy, and Achilles tendonitis, speeding the healing process and restoring the natural gait.
Furthermore, the Brace Ability has a low-profile design with an open heel to enhance breathability and prevent sweating.
Moreover, this orthopedic sock is easy to adjust thanks to the long ankle strap. It’s made of medical-grade materials and features an improved toe box and an adjustable strap for a tight fit.
Another advantage is that you can wear it on either leg. You can sleep soundly at night because the AFO is light and doesn’t compromise blood circulation.
The Ability sock is available in small, medium, and larger sizes. The manufacturer recommends that you check their size chart before making a purchase.
However, you can’t wear this soft AFO brace with shoes and can only walk around the house with it.
|Firmly holds your foot in the right position.||Not suitable for severe foot drop conditions|
|Low profile||Not the cheapest option|
|Dorsiflexion control||You can’t wear it with shoes|
|Made of durable polypropylene plastic|
|Breathable, open heel design|
|Available in all sizes|
- TO CHOOSE YOUR SIZE – View our sizing chart (the 2nd image above). The plantar fasciitis night splint stretcher can be worn on your right or left foot.
- NEW & IMPROVED (as of March 2019) – Based on customer feedback, we redesigned our plantar fasciitis sock. Now featuring medical-grade materials, a wider toe box, a longer ankle strap for a secure fit, and a more effective toe stretching strap to accelerate your healing process.
- ALLEVIATES HEEL PAIN – Overtime, this dorsiflexion sock helps relieve foot and heel pain associated with plantar fasciitis, Achilles tendonitis, heel spurs, and tendon arch pain, unlike inserts and insoles, which only provide temporary relief.
- FOR NIGHTTIME USE – Wear this plantar fasciitis support while sleeping to improve daytime mobility. An adjustable strap pulls back on your toes, providing a deep, therapeutic stretch to your plantar fascia, allowing the connective tissue to heal properly overnight.
- LOW-PROFILE BRACE – Getting used to sleeping with your foot in dorsiflexion will take some time, however, this lightweight night splint sock for plantar fasciitis therapy is likely easier to get used to than sleeping with a rigid plantar fasciitis boot.
Find out How to Put on AFO Brace Properly
How to Choose the Best Drop Foot Braces? A Quick Buying Guide
AFO braces provide the essential support to correct the position of the feet and minimize flexion. They’re among the most common therapies doctors recommend for mild and moderate cases of foot drop.
Still, getting used to wearing AFO is a bit challenging. That’s why you should pay attention to the features of a product you are about to buy:
- Breathability. Wearing AFO splints in summer might make your feet and ankles hot and sweaty. You want AFOs made of breathable material to avoid overheating.
- Quality pads/straps. They prevent rubbing and reduce the discomfort when walking.
- Quality material. You want AF0s made of durable material so that it doesn’t break or rub your legs sore.
- Stability. The best AFOs for foot drop keep your feet stable without compromising the ease of movement.
- Visibility. You can wear some AFOs inside your shoes if you don’t want people to know about your condition.
- Solid vs. hinged. Hinged AFOs give you greater freedom of movement.
- Extras. Some AFOs might have ventilation holes to reduce sweating.
If you don’t have experience wearing an AFO brace, it will take time for your feet to get used to it. So, don’t despair if there are no immediate effects.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long should you wear AFO?
Can I run with an AFO brace?
Can I drive with a foot drop brace?
Can you prevent foot drop?
Breaking a leg and wearing a cast for a prolonged period of time can also increase the likelihood of drop foot.
Now that you overviewed our list of reviews, we hope it will be easy to decide which the best AFO for foot drop is.
Wearing an AFO brace might affect your daily routine, but it will be much easier to stand, walk, and even jog. It can help you return to normal life and speed up the healing process.
The best AFO for foot drop also provides you with convenience, support, and comfort. It helps you manage the symptoms of foot drop and return to normal life.
Just imagine how time-consuming it would be to search among all of the AFO braces online and compare them.
That is why we made this list and reviewed some of the best braces at the moment, hoping that you will find the best AFO for foot drop for you.
All of the braces we reviewed are great in many ways for your medical condition. But one definitely stands out from the rest.
We are talking about the Step-Smart Drop Foot Brace because of the comfort and firmness it provides to the wearer.
The shock-absorption heel strike, breathable design, and lifetime guarantee are also among the reasons why Step-Smart is one step ahead of the competition.
- The best foot brace for drop foot
- More energy efficient than competitive stiff & loadless designs
- Low profile, easy to use & comfortable
- Color: Black
What do you think about these 5 best AFO braces for foot drop? Which one is your favorite? Tell us in the comment section.
15 thoughts on “AFO Braces for Foot Drop: 6 Best Options You Can Try!”
There’s a lot of helpful information in your post. It’s so detailed, it will definitely educate a lot of people.
It is nice that there is such a variety for people. That way they can find one that works well for them.
This is a really comprehensive review of the various options. Very helpful.
Afo don’t work for me I have tried some what I need are real boots that are built around my feet .I had a16” pair of boots I could walk 6 miles in up and down stairs in 12 minutes made of all leather and a rocking soul . When I was in law enforcement I too a bad guy down he was 6’0 had 15 seconds head start on me I got him. My ankles are small for a guy at 5’8”I need the support
This is such a great round up and is going to help so many people, I think having ideas on the best buys is always helpful with these products.
This is my first time learning about this. Thanks for sharing this information.
Thanks for the recommendation. I might need to buy one of these in the future.
These look so interesting! As a runner, I am always looking for braces and things that may help friends who are injured. I’ll have to keep these in mind!
It’s nice to know more about these. You never know when you may need one. I’ll have to show this to a few people who are currently using one.
Loads of options there to chose from. They sound like they would be great for those that need them.
Thanks for the guide. Great list here and I got the Drop Foot Brace by Step-Smart
It is really nice products. I will share with my friends who need it.
Didn’t know there were diverse foot braces. The MARS wellness and soft AFO braces seems like a better pick
This would be helpful to those who are looking for the best one that would suit their needs. Great post!
How many good solutions for different problems!