Roho wheelchair cushions boast an innovative, unique air cell block format that makes them one of the most comfortable cushions.
However, there are many wheelchair cushions types, which presents a problem because many buyers don’t know how to choose a Roho cushion for a wheelchair.
Questions include: What do you look for besides ultimate comfort? Are the size and weight capacity a factor? What about skin protection?
On my recent trip shopping for a new wheelchair cushion, I gathered some information to help you answer those and many more questions.
Let’s dig in.
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you purchase at no extra cost.
Table of Contents
- Consider cushion design, size, and cover options when choosing a Roho wheelchair cushion.
- Roho cushions use an innovative inflatable air cell format to make their air-based cushions perfect for pressure relief.
- There are covers with anti-shear, waterproof, and standard properties.
- Medicare can help pay for a Roho cushion if your doctor prescribes it.
Check out this comparison table of our top favorites!
Factors to Consider When Choosing a Roho Wheelchair Cushion
The wheelchair cushion you pick will ultimately affect your health (1). So it would be best if you made an informed decision.
Roho Air cushions are one of the most remarkable wheelchair cushions to consider.
Their innovative design helps prevent pressure ulcers and other pressure injuries (2). Such issues are rampant for long-term wheelchair users.
Therefore, to select the best Roho cushion for your wheelchair, you’ll need to prioritize your needs based on your health condition.
Here are the things to consider.
1. Cushion Size
Are you looking for a pediatric, standard, or bariatric cushion? Sizes are a vital aspect since Roho offers a wide range of sizes.
While most adults can use standard cushions, pediatric cushions are an option for children.
Bariatric cushions are the best option for adults needing larger cushions.
For an informed decision on what cushion size to choose, measure the dimensions of your wheelchair with a tape measure.
You can then look for a compatible sizing option.
2. Cushion Design
Interconnected air cells are a popular fixture of Roho cushion matter.
According to Drs. Erin Uehara and Cathy A. Larson, air cells allow air redistribution through the cushion (3).
In that way, they provide pressure relief in specific areas, allowing the Roho cushion to provide optimal user comfort and prevent pressure sores.
Other cushions have comfort cells in their several compartments you can add yourself.
Therefore, deciding the cushion design to go with is up to you.
3. Contoured or Regular?
Part of the reason Roho cushions offer focused protection is the cushion contours, which allow the distribution of air cells in the cushion for optimal comfort.
The contours result from grading the air cells at different cell heights, from tall air cells to short air cells.
A contoured design offers the user a secure, stable seat and reduces the risk of skin breakdown.
If you don’t need any of that, look for models with little-to-no contours to those with less cushion height.
4. Cushion Cover Options
Each Roho cushion cover offers a unique quality, so you should pay attention to the wheelchair cushion cover.
Suppose you spend long periods in your wheelchair and want maximum skin protection. In that case, a cover with anti-shear properties is best.
Anti-shear options ensure adjustable skin protection by preventing your skin from sticking to the seat.
Water-resistant cushions prevent moisture and incontinence issues from ruining the cushion.
Finally, standard cushion cover options offer basic protection.
Top 3 Best Roho Wheelchair Cushions
Now you know how to choose a Roho cushion for a wheelchair. Let’s look at the three best options and what makes them ideal for users.
The Roho Mosaic cushion is an excellent option if you’re at risk of skin breakdown. It offers soft tissue protection through inflatable, interconnected air cells.
This cushion adapts to the user’s sitting position over time, offering back support and preventing skin injury.
The cushion also has a machine-washable cover and a hand-inflation pump for custom comfort.
It also helps that the heavy-duty cover is fluid and water-resistant.
- Light, easily portable wheelchair cushion that works great for bedside chairs, car/truck seats and sporting events with a 315lbs/143kg weight limit
- Ideal for individuals at risk for skin/soft tissue breakdown, experiencing pain, impaired sensation and looking for enhanced comfort in sitting
- Designed to match the shape of the user, adapting to every movement to reduce risk of injury to skin/soft tissue even during longer sitting times
- Features 3" easily inflated polyvinyl interconnected air cells, a non-skid cover, repair kit, instructions and hand inflation pump for easy set up
- Comes with a 18" x 16" cushion and a fluid-resistant Heavy-Duty Cover that can be machine washed and air dried for cleaning
The Roho Quadtro Select air cushion is a high-profile adjustable cushion that allows proper blood flow for skin at risk of pressure ulcers.
It is lightweight and self-inflatable, allowing you to inflate it to the proper inflation.
Here is a video showing how to inflate it:
The Roho Quadtro Select is ideal for users with a health condition requiring them to sit for long hours in wheelchairs or other seats.
It offers functional stability and proper backbone support in addition to facilitating the healing of ischemic ulcers.
- Lightweight Easy to handle and carry, at just 3.8 lbs/1.7 kg (QS1011C).
- PUMP AND REPAIR KIT ARE INCLUDED
- THIS CUSHION MUST BE FULLY INFLATED TO MAXIMIZE COMFORT AND OFFER FULL SATISFACTION.
- PLEASE MEASURE PROPERLY TO ASSURE MAXIMUM COMFORT. THIS CUSHION'S SIZE IS 18"w X 20"L x 4"H.
The Roho Single compartment cushion is another excellent option for a cushion with positioning support.
This cushion adjusts to your shape and weight even through changes in your sitting position.
Also, it has a washable cushion and cover. The cushion should be hand-washed while the cover is machine washable. Something else to love is its durability.
You can repair the flame-resistant, black neoprene material in case of damage.
If you have mobility issues and sit for long hours, the stable surface this cushion provides could be all you need.
- Inflate cushion properly for maximum confort.
- INFLATION PUMP AND REPAIR KIT INCLUDED
There are more options to consider in addition to the above three.
Is a Roho cushion covered by Medicare?
If your physician approves, Medicare could help cover part of the cost of getting a Roho cushion (4).
How often should a ROHO cushion be replaced?
Three years is an ideal time to consider replacing your Roho wheelchair cushions.
Are Roho cushions the best wheelchair cushions?
Roho cushions with varying height gradations and inflatable air cell technology are among the best options. Their technology is perfect, and they are the best wheelchair cushions for pressure sores.
If you don’t know how to choose a Roho cushion for a wheelchair, this guide will provide all the help you need.
Choosing the best Roho cushion is really about understanding your needs for a wheelchair cushion.
The Roho cushions make it easy for you to choose.
They provide excellent performance in wheelchair seating, making them an ideal treatment for pressure sores (5).
Are you or your family members feeling the general discomfort of sitting in a wheelchair? Roho wheelchair cushions could be the solution you need.
- 1. Hipp D. A Guide To The Best Wheelchair Cushions [Internet]. Forbes Health. 2021 [cited 2022 Nov 14]. Available from: https://www.forbes.com/health/healthy-aging/best-wheelchair-cushions/
- 2. Preventing Pressure Ulcers: A Patient’s Guide [Internet]. California Department of Social Services. Available from: https://www.cdss.ca.gov/agedblinddisabled/res/VPTC2/8%20Paramedical%20Services/Preventing_Pressure_Ulcers_Patient_Guide.pdf
- 3. Uehara E, Larson C. Wheelchair Cushion Fact Sheet [Internet]. Academy of Neurologic Physical Therapy. 2019. Available from: https://www.neuropt.org/docs/default-source/sci-sig/fact-sheets/wheelchair-cushion-fact-sheet.pdf?sfvrsn=c6865343_2&sfvrsn=c6865343_2#:~:text=A%20wheelchair%20cushion%20provides%20the
- 4. Pressure-Reducing Support Surfaces Coverage [Internet]. www.medicare.gov. [cited 2022 Nov 14]. Available from: https://www.medicare.gov/coverage/pressure-reducing-support-surfaces
- 5. A.D.A.M. Medical Encyclopedia. How to care for pressure sores [Internet]. Medlineplus.gov. Available from: https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000740.htm