What & how to eat with Parkinson’s disease is challenging and plays an essential role in keeping your strength and controlling or easing the symptoms.
Besides, the neurological disorder and certain related conditions make it difficult to live on a balanced diet.
However, some foods manage your nutritional status, plus you need to make sure your medications work well to avoid Parkinson-related issues or at least make them less severe.
Read on, as we also have few safety tips to help you cope with the symptoms in this article!
CHECK: The Best Parkinson’s Fork and Spoon
Table of Contents
Best Foods to Eat with Parkinson’s
Let’s start with the “what” part of the question, shall we?
While your doctor is your best source of information regarding the best Parkinson’s diet for you, these below meal ideas for Parkinson’s patients often play a starring role in your personalized plan.
Foods Containing Omega-3
Consumption of foods that has omega-3 fatty acids is likely to benefit Parkinson’s patients.
Omega-3 reduces nerve inflammation and controls neurodegenerative Disorders, as well as it also helps with secondary symptoms like dementia and confusion.
So if you’re concerned with that, eat different kinds of seafood like salmon, sardines, and oysters.
Fatty fish and fish oil are also beneficial to improve brain health and cognitive function.
Oxidative stress is a situation that occurs when free radicals are damaged or get unstable in the body, which gives rise to this disease and similar symptoms.
A diet rich in antioxidants focuses on oxidative stress levels, which helps stop tissue and cell damage.
Incorporating foods rich in antioxidants is healthy for overall brain health and helps in Parkinson’s treatment.
You can have sufficient antioxidants in:
- Dark Fruits
- Dark Chocolate
In short, a plant-based diet has plenty of antioxidants. Also, some of them have a high level of vitamin C which could boost the immune system to prevent nausea.
Foods With Necessary Nutrients
Parkinson’s disease patients should concentrate on eating from all food groups, a diet that provides essential fiber, minerals, and vitamins to the body altogether.
- Overlook fad diets
- Drink 6-8 glasses of water every day
- Eat fiber-rich foods, consume whole grain bread, vegetables, brown rice, fruits to avoid constipation.
- For cramps, consider drinking tonic water which has quinine
- Yellow mustard with spice turmeric also helps with cramps and encourage bowel movements
Check out this video:
What Foods Should Parkinson’s Patients Avoid?
These foods are usually a no-no, so expect to find them off-limits on your doctor-recommended diet plan.
Foods With Saturated Fats
More highly saturated and cholesterol food intake worsens the symptoms and raises more than a few problems on the side, such as heart disease, blood pressure abnormalities, and metabolism deficiency.
If you are already treating the extreme symptom condition, it is not advisable to include this dietary fat intake which you cannot afford.
Processed foods promote intestinal permeability, which leads to the severity of symptoms like swallowing and problems with speech and smell.
Items like French fries, ready meals, bacon, candies, and many other foods similar to canned foods and colas cause to speed up the PD progress.
With that said, Parkinson’s disease patients are best to keep away from to prevent any symptoms severity.
Few Dairy Foods
Although, almost all dairy products are protein-rich foods, and are essential for PD patients to stay a healthy weight.
But low-fat milk, cheese, and yogurt are some of the products cause to aid Parkinson’s progression.
That’s why limiting the consumption of these items should help to treat the symptoms more continuously.
Some other foods that need consideration are to:
- Limit sugar intake as that causes saliva and drooling as well as it leads to tooth decay
- Reduce salt and sodium intake (ask your doctor for proper consumption)
- Drink alcoholic beverages in moderation because they are empty calories, leads to accidents, and are not advisable with medications
How to Eat With Parkinson’s Disease (Safety Tips)
We are going to discuss that and some other tips below:
- The spoon counteracts hand movement and cancels the tremors
- Weighted utensils are valuable to control tremors
- Use rubber mats for plates to stop slippage
- Make dining area easily accessible
- Make dining chairs easy to sit and stand up from
How to prevent Parkinson’s disease naturally?
Unfortunately, there is no cure for Parkinson’s disease currently. It’s a prolonged condition that interferes with life quality.
However, you can slow its progression down and reduce the severity of the symptoms with proper diet and medications.
How do you feed someone with Parkinson’s disease?
Sit upright with your head slightly tilted forward, do not talk, and focus entirely on eating. Swallow one bite multiple times until your throat is clear. Drinking water after every bite, also tucking the chin into the chest helps to swallow.
As there is no specific food for Parkinson’s disease, these diets help prevent or relieve the symptoms. Maintaining a healthy diet also is a possible factor to reduce its risk and slow the progression of this disease.
- “Diet & Nutrition.” 2020. Parkinson’s Foundation. 2020. https://www.parkinson.org/Living-with-Parkinsons/Managing-Parkinsons/Diet-and-Nutrition.
- “Diet & Nutrition.” 2021. The Michael J. Fox Foundation for Parkinson’s Research | Parkinson’s Disease. 2021. https://www.michaeljfox.org/news/diet-nutrition.
- “Foods to Eat and Avoid with Parkinson’s.” 2018. ParkinsonsDisease.net. 2018. https://parkinsonsdisease.net/stories/what-to-eat-and-what-to-avoid-when-managing-parkinsons-disease.
- hollowc2. 2020. “The Best Diet for Parkinson’s Disease.” Cleveland Clinic. Cleveland Clinic. October 6, 2020. https://health.clevelandclinic.org/the-best-diet-for-parkinsons-disease/.
- Watson, Kathryn. 2018. “Diet and Parkinson’s.” Healthline. Healthline Media. September 20, 2018. https://www.healthline.com/health/parkinsons-and-diet.
Do you have more tips on how to eat with Parkinson’s disease? Please let us know in the comment section below!