Are you searching for new mobility aid? Perhaps a manual wheelchair? If that’s the case, no matter what type of chair you are looking for, you’ve probably noticed how pricey a few of these devices can be.
Wheelchairs are available for a wide range of prices, ranging from one hundred dollars to one thousand dollars.
I’ve scoured the internet for you guys and done my research in researching brands and prices to develop a cost breakdown!
I’ll give you some estimates on how many different types of wheelchairs might cost so that you can make an informed decision. Read ahead to learn more!
READ MORE: How to Get a Free Wheelchair
Wheelchair Types and Their Pricing
The wheelchair price may vary depending on the type of wheelchair you are looking for. Their features also play a role in the pricing.
For example, a manual wheelchair with basic features may cost around $100 – $300, while a wheelchair with more features (e.g., elevating leg rests, adjustable backrest, etc.) may cost anywhere from $600 – $1,000.
Below, I’ll be referencing the average costs for wheelchairs available in the United States, as pricing may vary depending on your location.
Manual Wheelchairs Pricing
A manual wheelchair is a type of wheelchair that requires the user to maneuver independently and without electricity.
These basic wheelchairs can be self-propelled, in which the user moves using their legs, or companion-propelled, in which another person pushes the entire chair.
Manual wheelchairs can cost anywhere from $1000-$10,000 or even more!
These prices are based on the average retail prices in the United States. Some brands that fall into these prices are’ Karman,’ ‘Invacare,’ and ‘Drive Medical.’
Manual wheelchairs may include the following:
1. Lightweight Wheelchairs
This ergonomic wheelchair is designed for users who weigh less than 30 pounds and are perfect for travel. They often have a compact design that makes them easy to fold up and store.
Upon researching, most products fall into a $125-$1,000 price point. These include the ‘Karman Lightweight Wheelchair,’ the ‘Shower Chair and Wheelchair by Vive,’ and the ‘EZ Lite Cruiser DX’ .
They are priced this way because they are typically made with a lightweight frame, less durable materials, and smaller weight capacity.
Want More In-Depth Details? Read Our Detailed Review Guide: Best Wheelchairs for Outdoors
2. Ultra-Lightweight Wheelchairs
Ultra-lightweight wheelchairs are the standard wheelchair for users who are 20 to 60 years old and have an active lifestyle.
They can weigh as little as 13 pounds and often have a higher weight capacity than lightweight wheelchairs.
According to a study by Kranz and his team, ultralightweight chairs typically cost $125-$1,500 because they are lightweight and durable and tested for active and rigid frames .
So to give you an example, the ‘Nova Chair Voyager Ultralight wheelchair’ falls into this price range, retailing from $249.95- $349.95 .
They are a popular choice for people who want to be active and have a portable wheelchair.
3. Heavy-Duty Wheelchairs (Bariatric wheelchairs)
Heavy-duty wheelchairs are designed for people who weigh more than 200 pounds. Some models can support up to 300 pounds!
Bariatric wheelchairs cost anywhere from $200-$2,000 or more. They are made with heavier-duty materials that are more suitable for larger wheelchair users.
An example of this is the ‘Drive Medical Bariatric Transport Wheelchair’ retailing for around $350 .
They also often have a larger seat size and advanced features like durable leg rest and reinforced types of wheels . but it doesn’t mean you can ride it
4. Bathroom Wheelchairs
If you need a wheelchair to use the restroom, a few different options are available. You can buy a custom wheelchair with a seat opening or buy a special bathroom wheelchair.
Bathroom wheelchairs typically cost $300-$1,000+ the ‘Sunrise Medical Elevating Toilet Seat’ is in this range, costing about $400 
These wheelchairs have a seat opening that allows users to use an accessible bathroom while remaining seated (I mean, that’s the dream for some, right?).
Ultimately, this is a convenient option for people who have difficulty standing up and walking.
ALSO CHECK: Types of Stairs Wheelchair
5. Reclining Wheelchairs
Reclining wheelchairs are perfect for people who want to relax in their wheelchairs. They often have a reclining backrest that allows the user to tilt back and rest.
Reclining wheelchairs typically cost $200-$2,000+. An example of a reclining wheelchair is the ‘Drive Medical Winnie Lite Supreme Reclining Wheelchair’, which costs about $700 .
They are made with comfortable materials and custom seat cushions that make them an excellent choice for people who spend a lot of time seated.
Powered Wheelchairs Pricing
Powered wheelchairs or Electric wheelchairs require tremendous technology and research to manufacture, produce, and design.
While the materials used to construct a certain wheelchair may not be the same as the finished product, you can be sure that the company that manufactured the wheelchair invested thousands, if not millions, of dollars and time in the research & design.
A powered wheelchair is more expensive due to additional components such as batteries, electric parts, brake systems, and more!
Here’s a video showing the different types of powered wheelchairs:
1. Heavy-Duty Power Wheelchairs
Heavy-duty wheelchairs can cost anywhere from $1,000-$10,000 or even more. The ‘Invacare Pronto M51 Heavy Duty Power Wheelchair’ . It costs about $3,500.
This price range is due to their additional features like:
-Automatic speed adjustment
-Customizable colors and designs
They are suitable for people who weigh more than 200 pounds (maximum 500 pounds).
2. Travel or Portable Power Wheelchairs
If you are looking for a powered wheelchair that is easy to transport, you may want to consider travel or a portable wheelchair .
These wheelchairs can quickly fold or disassemble. How handy! They are great for people who want to take their wheelchair on trips.
Here’s an overview of how to fold them to fit them in your luggage!
Travel or portable power wheelchairs typically cost $1,000-$12,000. They are at a higher price because of the added features and benefits.
An example is the ‘Karma Mobility Revo Folding Power Wheelchair’, which costs about $4,000 .
3. Full-Size Power Wheelchairs
If you are looking for a powered wheelchair that is comfortable and has a lot of features, you may want to consider a full-size power wheelchair.
These wheelchairs have a larger battery, which allows them to travel further per charge. They also often have more comfortable seats, armrests, and footrests .
Full-size power wheelchairs typically cost $1,000-$30,000. The ‘Hoveround MPV5’ costs about $10,000, which is the average price point if you ask me .
It may be the most expensive chair because of all of the features that it has. However, it is an excellent choice for people who want the best wheelchair possible.
Pediatric Wheelchairs Pricing
These are wheelchairs specifically built for children and persons with small bodies.
Pediatric wheelchairs are popular because of the health benefits, such as better circulation. Another beneficial feature is having the youngster drive the electric wheelchair or have the caregiver drive it .
This chair ranges in price from $150 to $1500. They are priced this way because they are not as common as adult wheelchairs. So, the companies that make these chairs have to account for less demand.
You’d think they cost less because they are small, but they don’t!
Positioning Wheelchairs Pricing
Wheelchairs that help people with positioning needs are commonly called “positioning wheelchairs .”
These chairs can be expensive, but their benefits make them worth the price. These wheelchairs help improve a person’s posture, which can help improve their health.
Positioning wheelchairs range in price from $1,000 to $10,000. A product in the high price range is the ‘Hoveround MPV5’. It costs about $10,000 .
Sports Wheelchairs Pricing
A sports wheelchair is a type of wheelchair specifically designed for athletes .
These wheelchairs often have a lightweight frame and a durable design, making them ideal for use in competitive sports.
Sports wheelchairs typically cost $1,000-$5,000.
This price range is due to the many different features that make them suitable for sports competitions. They are an excellent choice for people who want a wheelchair that is both durable and lightweight.
How Much Does a Wheelchair Cost: A Breakdown Table
Okay, I know it can be hard to swallow all that information, so to summarize all the things I said above, below, I made a breakdown table that consists of the type of wheelchair, its costs, and a short description of each.
This way, you can easily compare and contrast the wheelchairs’ prices!
|Type of Wheelchair||Cost||Chair Description|
|Lightweight Wheelchairs||$125- $1,000 +||Wheelchairs that weigh less than 30 pounds are ideal for travel.|
|Ultra-lightweight Wheelchairs||$125- $1,500||Wheelchairs that are light and high-performance, suited for active users aged 20 to 60.|
|Heavy-duty Wheelchairs or Bariatric wheelchairs||$200- $2,000+||It’s designed for people who weigh more than 200 pounds (300 being the maximum weight).|
|Bathroom||$300- $1,000+||This wheelchair features a seat opening that allows users to use the restroom while remaining seated.|
|Reclining||$200- $2,000+||Allows the user to relax in their chair. Ideal for people that enjoy sitting all the time.|
|Heavy-duty power wheelchairs||$1,000- $4,500+||Heavy-duty electric-powered wheelchairs can support more weight than regular electric wheelchairs. These electric wheelchairs have weight capacities of up to 500 pounds.|
|Travel or portable power wheelchairs||$1,000- $12,000+||These chairs can fold or disassemble quickly to fit in a car trunk or airplane luggage.|
|Full-size power wheelchairs||$1,000- $30,000+||This has more comfortable seats, armrests, and footrests. Because they have a larger battery, they usually travel further per charge.|
|Pediatric Wheelchairs||$150- $1500||Built for children and persons with small bodies|
|Positioning Wheelchairs||$1,000- $10,000||Wheelchairs that help people with positioning needs|
|Sports Wheelchairs||$1,000-$5,000||Specifically designed for athletes|
READ MORE: Why Can’t I Sell a Wheelchair on Facebook?
Why Are Wheelchairs So Expensive?
Wheelchairs can be expensive because they are custom products. This means that the wheelchair is built to fit the person’s specific needs and requirements.
This customization process often requires a lot of time and effort on the part of the wheelchair manufacturer . As a result, the chairs can be pretty expensive to produce.
Another reason for the high price of wheelchairs is that they are often covered by insurance. This means that the manufacturer has to account for the cost of the chair when setting its price.
Despite the high price, power wheelchairs offer many benefits that make them worth the investment. They can help people live more independently and improve their quality of life.
So, even though they may be expensive, they are definitely worth the cost.
How much does a used wheelchair cost?
A used wheelchair typically costs between $50 and $500. However, the price can vary depending on the age and condition of the chair.
Does Medicare pay for wheelchairs?
Does Medicare pay for wheelchairs? Medicare often covers the cost of power wheelchairs. However, the specific coverage depends on the individual’s plan and eligibility.
How Much Does a Wheelchair Ramp Cost?
Wheelchair ramps can cost anywhere from $100 to $10,000. The price depends on the size and complexity of the ramp.
Are Wheelchairs Covered by Insurance company?
Yes, wheelchairs are often covered by insurance. They are seen as a necessary medical device for people with mobility issues.
There are many different types of wheelchairs available on the market. This can make it challenging to decide which one is right for you.
The best way to decide which wheelchair is suitable for you is to consider your needs and budget.
Luckily for you, I covered the cost of wheelchairs for your guidance in this article! This should do the heavy lifting of your research. Until the next article!
Have you found the right wheelchair? Let us know what made you choose it in the comment section below!
- 1. Ultra Lightweight Wheelchair Archives [Internet]. Karman® Wheelchairs. [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://www.karmanhealthcare.com/wheelchairs/manual-wheelchairs/ultra-lightweight-wheelchair/
- 2. Krantz O, Egard H. Use of active wheelchairs in everyday life: experiences among experienced users of active ultra lightweight rigid frame wheelchairs. Disability and Rehabilitation: Assistive Technology. 2015;12:65–72.
- 3. Nova 379 Ultra Lightweight Transport Wheelchair [Internet]. www.phc-online.com. Available from: https://www.phc-online.com/Ultra_Lightweight_Transport_Chair_p/nova-379.htm
- 4. Bariatric Steel Transport Chair | Transport Chairs | Wheelchairs | Mobility | Products | Drive Medical US Site [Internet]. www.drivemedical.com. [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://www.drivemedical.com/us/en/products/mobility/wheelchairs/transport-chairs/bariatric-steel-transport-chair/p/974-1
- 5. Wilson A, Mcfarland S. APPENDIX Types of Wheelchairs Reprinted from Wheelchairs: A Prescription Guide [Internet]. Available from: https://www.cdss.ca.gov/agedblinddisabled/res/VPTC2/11%20Use%20of%20DME%20in%20the%20Home/Types_of_Wheelchairs.pdf
- 6. Raised Toilet Seat With Lid, 6 [Internet]. Sunrisemedical.com.au. 2022 [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://www.sunrisemedical.com.au/mobility-aids/breezy-everyday/toileting/6-raised-toilet-seat-with-lid#overview
- 7. Winnie Lite Supreme/Go Lite 3 Wheel Aluminum Rollator | 3-Wheel Rollators | Rollator Walkers | Mobility | Products | Drive Medical US Site [Internet]. www.drivemedical.com. [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://www.drivemedical.com/us/en/products/mobility/rollator-walkers/3-wheel-rollators/winnie-lite-supremego-lite-3-wheel-aluminum-rollator/p/63-1
- 8. Invacare ® Pronto ® M51 TM Power Wheelchair ® TM [Internet]. Available from: http://www.invacare.com/doc_files/02-066_M51_rev0608.pdf
- 9. Powered Wheelchair – an overview | ScienceDirect Topics [Internet]. www.sciencedirect.com. [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/nursing-and-health-professions/powered-wheelchair
- 10. EFLEXX Folding Power Wheelchair Lithium Battery | KARMA Medical [Internet]. [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://www.karmamedical.com/featured_item/efl/
- 11. Battery Powered Wheelchair and Mobility Aid Guidance Document [Internet]. Available from: https://www.iata.org/contentassets/7b3762815ac44a10b83ccf5560c1b308/battery-powered-wheelchair-and-mobility-aid-guidance-document.pdf
- 12. Hoveround MPV5 Power Wheelchair [Internet]. www.hoveround.com. Available from: https://www.hoveround.com/products/hoveround-mpv5-power-wheelchair
- 13. glen_web. How much do wheelchairs cost? [Internet]. Glenerinpharmacy. 2017 [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://glenerinpharmacy.com/2017/11/16/much-wheelchairs-cost/
- 14. Wheelchair Positioning – My Shepherd Connection [Internet]. Myshepherdconnection.org. 2018. Available from: https://www.myshepherdconnection.org/sci/wheelchair-positioning
- 15. Burton M, Fuss FK, Subic A. Sports wheelchair technologies. Sports Technology. 2010;3:154–67.
- 16. How Much Does a Wheelchair Cost? [Internet]. CostHelper. [cited 2022 Apr 19]. Available from: https://health.costhelper.com/wheelchair.html#:~:text=A%20standard%2C%20manual%20wheelchair%20costs