Thanks to a big advancement when it comes to mobility aids, now you can say goodbye to days when a crutch was your only option.
Today you have a wide range of knee scooters on the market and in this article, we will help you pick the best knee scooter for your needs.
This post contains affiliate links. We earn a commission if you make a purchase.
Check this comparison table for a quick guide. Read the review for further details.
What Is A Knee Scooter?
A knee scooter is a mobility device used for rehabilitation processes with people who recently had an orthopedic procedure (ankle, knee, or foot surgery, even amputation).
Other names for a knee scooter are broken leg scooter or a knee walker.
However, among the products available on the market, it might be hard to figure out which one works best for you.
That is why we defined a guide for picking the best knee scooter for you.
How to Choose the Best Knee Scooter?
When choosing the best knee scooter, these are the performances you should look for in it:
If you are a knee scooter user, you would probably want to purchase a scooter that is easy to assemble.
You need a device that will not take away much time or effort when it comes to traveling, storing, or cleaning it.
Make sure not to look down upon this feature, especially if you are about to use a knee scooter for some time.
• Weight capacity
Medical knee scooters usually come with a solid weight range, about 300 to 350 pounds.
Even though this is an optimal weight capacity for some users, others might need more support than this.
If you belong to this category, go for heavy-duty knee scooter and check the weight capacity just for sure.
Similar as with the assembling performances, you need a knee scooter that will be easy to use and adjust.
Adjustability with knee scooters refers to option for the users to adjust the height of the device to their needs.
You should set a price range and your budget before you start looking for a knee scooter.
Both cheaper and more expensive ones come with particular attributes so that you should tone the price and the performances you need.
This doesn’t mean you would have to spend a fortune on buying the best knee scooter for you, as you can find great ones for an affordable price and we will mention some of them in the following paragraphs.
Now that you know what you should look for in the best knee scooter, we will move on the most important part – reviews of the best knee scooters.
- Tough and stable knee walker
- Perfect for indoor and outside use
- Adjustable locking handbrakes
- The automotive steering mechanism
- Great for travelers
- Some of the users find it a bit tricky to assemble
- If you need a medium-sized knee scooter, you might think this one is sturdy and robust
- Ideal for individuals recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees. The KneeRover Deluxe KneeCycle is one of the most advanced knee walkers in the industry and an excellent alternative to crutches.
- Maximum stability and control when maneuvering - these steerable knee scooters offer an advanced automotive style tie-rod steering mechanism (not available on most knee walkers) and an adjustable locking handbrake.
- Ideal for indoor and outdoor use, the Knee Rover KneeCycle kneeling walker features four 7.5" non-marking rubber wheels, a comfortable 3.0" thick contoured knee platform that is left or right-leg compatible, and a free basket.
- Fully adjustable handlebars and knee platform, this lightweight yet sturdy knee walker offers a robust 300 lb weight capacity and is recommended for individuals with heights 4'9" - 6'6".
A knee scooter with contemporary design, such as the Deluxe Steerable Knee Scooter by KneeRover might be the best choice for you.
We are talking about a knee scooter that is really able to face with all challenges – broken bone, after-surgery process, ulcers, and amputations.
If you already used a crutch, then you know the struggle, which is not the case with the Knee Rover’s product.
What is also great about the KneeRover scooter is that it is compatible with both the right and left leg.
Don’t worry about the stability while using this scooter, as it has an in-built advanced automotive steering mechanism that keeps you safe during the use.
Take note that this performance of the KneeRover scooter is not available among most knee walkers on the market.
Additionally, KneeRover added one more safety performance – adjustable locking handbrake, which means you can use this device both indoor and outdoor without any worries.
Yet, this is not the end, as the Deluxe Scooter comes with rubber wheels, which is a great feature when it comes to going out on rainy or snowy days.
KneeRover designed a scooter with 8-inch PVC wheels so that your rides are always comfortable and safe.
If you are a traveler, the KneeRover offers you quick folding mechanism so you can transport and store it easily in your car and it also has removable front axle and handlebars.
Travelers, you will also like the detachable convenient storage bag in which one you can store your daily necessities when you are on the road.
Handlebars are also fully adjustable and the scooter has a weight capacity of 300 pounds.
These features truly make the KneeRover Deluxe Steerable Knee Scooter the best knee scooter according to many users’ ratings.Benefits:
- 300 pounds weight capacity
- Thick and soft knee pad
- Quick release folding mechanism
- Supportive and sturdy construction
- Some customers experienced bumpiness when used the scooter outdoors
- If your height is under 5’4″, then you might find this scooter too high
- Easy Help Recovery - Ideal for individuals recovering from injury or surgery to the foot, ankle or lower leg as well as below the knee amputees.
- Easily Moved to Anywhere - With our knee cart, your recovery won't slow you down or stop you from enjoying your day. You don't have to worry about not being able to get around, perfect for navigating your home, work, supermarket, park. Please note: don't slide at high speed for your safety. Recommended speed: 1m/s.
- Comfortable - Using crutches requires extensive upper body strength, rubs under your armpits and is unstable. This knee walker is made for both indoor and outdoor use, it is a hands free / pain free crutch alternative and offers the most versatility among knee walkers.
- Lightweight & Durable:This lightweight yet sturdy knee walker offers a robust weight capacity, making sure you feel comfortable, stable and safe - no matter where you are.
- Adjustable and Compact: Steerable knee walker features handlebars with a quick release folding mechanism for easy transport and storage.
ELENKER has a great mobility scooter for individuals with injuries, or the ones who are recovering from the foot, ankle, or lower leg surgery or amputation.
The best thing about the ELENKLER knee scooter is that it makes your recovery period much more pleasant and enjoyable than any other medical scooter.
The ELENKLER scooter will get you around wherever you want and you will be in the right place on time, as the scooter moves fast.
However, the seller recommends using 1m/s speed, as higher speeds might be dangerous for sliding, especially if your injury is fresh.
It is very important to have good support for your upper body when using a knee scooter, while this one gives you exactly what you need.
However, even though this knee scooter is so supportive and sturdy, it is lightweight (20 pounds only) at the same time and provides great weight capacity.
Comfort is one more feature you should look for in a knee scooter, while the ELENKLER thought about their customers in this aspect, too.
The seat of this knee scooter is padded and thick, while it is also countered with four ridges that keep your knee in place when you move around.
If you are looking for a knee scooter that provides you a hands-free and pain-free use with high versatility, the ELENKLER scooter might be the best option for you.
You don’t have to be stuck in your bed, watching TV for days, waiting for the better days, as ELENKLER has the best knee scooter on the market according to customers’ reviews, of which most of them care about the budget range of the product.
- Fully adjustable
- Lightweight and easy to transport
- Comes with a storage bag
- Easy to put together
- Contoured foam cushion
- 8-inch polyurethane wheels provide you with utmost stability
- A bit pricey
- Produces a creaking sound sometimes
- The cushion might appear as too firm in the beginning, but it will get completely comfortable within a few days
- NEW DESIGN: A great alternative to crutches, the improved steerable knee scooter is designed for indoor and outdoor use. Perfect for those recovering from MCL injury or surgery of the lower leg, ankle or foot, including breaks, sprains and amputations, the scooter provides comfortable mobility. For additional convenience, a storage bag is included that easily attaches to the scooter to securely carry essential everyday items.
- MAXIMUM STABILITY AND CONTROL: Four, 8-inch polyurethane wheels provide an exceptionally stable base for easy maneuverability. Dual rear brakes provide superior stability and control.
- CONTOURED FOAM KNEE PAD: Providing extra stability and support, the comfortable foam knee cushion is contoured to cradle the leg and allow pressure to be evenly distributed across the knee platform reducing fatigue in the hip, knee and leg.
- COMPACT, LIGHTWEIGHT DURABILITY: Lightweight and durable, the steel scooter is fully adjustable. The knee platform can be adjusted between 19”-23.5”. The steering handle is also adjustable in 1” increments ranging from 33.5” to 41.5” to comfortably fit most individuals. Two fold points and the removable platform allow the scooter to easily be stored and transported as needed.
- INCREASED MOBILITY: This unique device is specifically designed for those with foot or leg injuries. It is a far superior method of transportation compared to your everyday crutches, which can even be painful to use for some.
If you are looking for an alternative to a crutch, the Vive might have the best knee scooter for you.
This knee walker provides mobility, comfort, and support for all of you recovering from surgery, injury, break, sprain, ulcers, or amputation.
Vive designed a knee walker with 8-inch polyurethane wheels that provide maximum stability for the users and easy maneuverability.
You can be fully confident with the Vive knee walker when it comes to having control, as it comes with dual rear brakes that prevent any slipping or falls.
As you might be in pain or if your recovery is going great but you still need some time to heal properly, this knee scooter provides awesome contoured foam knee cushion that distributes pressure evenly and reduces eventual fatigue in your leg, knee, or hip.
Thicker cushion will reduce eventual frictions, relieve you from pain, and prevent skin irritation so that you get the utmost comfortable experience with the Vive Steerable Knee Walker.
The cushion is made of breathable materials so that air circulation will prevent sweating, which is important during the summer months.
Customers appreciate excellent locking break feature, as you can easily take a pause and stand in one spot for whatever time you wont – the Vive Steerable Knee Walker won’t roll unexpectedly.
The Vive knee walker is fully adjustable at range 19”-23.5” and has adjustable steering handle too.
If you like to travel and you are always on the road, you will like the fact that this scooter has a removable platform and two-fold points so you can store and transport it easily.
Vive gifts you a removable basket in which one you can store your personal things when you are out.
As a cherry on the top, Vive gives you unconditional lifetime guarantee for this knee scooter, which will probably give you more confidence when making a purchase and this is one of the reasons why many users believe this is the best knee scooter on the market.
We are about to compare the most important traits of all three knee scooters we mentioned in the previous paragraphs, which might help you a lot when it comes to making a choice of the best knee scooter for you.
• Weight capacity
KneeRover, ELENKKLER, and Vive designed knee scooters with a weight capacity of 300 pounds.
However, according to customers’ reviews, Steerable Knee Walker by Vive can hold up for a couple of pounds more with no worries.
All of three knee scooters are foldable and easy to assemble, but if you want to avoid any tricky situations, then the Vive knee scooter or the ELENKLER scooter might be the most secure options.
We know how much you appreciate comfort, as it is one of the most important performances with products you would be using for a while.
If this is the case with you, then we recommend you to pick the ELENKLER or the Vive knee scooter.
The first one has a memory foam cushion, while the other has a contoured and thick cushion.
If you are a bit tight on a budget, then ELENKLER has the best knee scooter according to its price range.
This mobility device comes at a slightly lower price than the other two, but you can be fully confident with its quality.
The narrow body of a knee scooter gives you much more maneuverability in comparison to old-fashioned crutches.
No matter of your budget, there is a knee scooter that will help you recover from a leg, angle, or knee injury or surgery.
We wanted to guide you through top three knee scooters on the market and show off their both positive and negative performances and traits so that you can make up your mind easier.
Be aware of the conditions, estimated recovery time, performances, and your budget range, as this will surely lead you to find the best knee scooter for your needs.
We claim that these three knee scooters will surely help you a lot through your recovery process or make you get used to a new life easier.
The best knee scooter should definitely provide you comfort, support, stability, easy operation, and durability.
If you ask us, we could say that the best knee scooter is :
Vive Steerable Knee Walker, as this device has all the important performances within it.
Vive designed the best knee scooter according to many customers’ reviews.
First of all, we highly appreciate the fact that the manufacturer offers a comfortable contoured cushion.
If you already have a knee scooter without a cushion, then you surely know the struggle to keep your knee in place without getting uncomfortable.
Secondly, support and stability are the two main factors when we talk about the best knee scooter.
As you have an injury and you are in pain, even the slightest inconvenient move might cause troubles.
Falling or slipping off the cushion would induce new injuries, which is surely something you want to avoid.
That is why we appreciate Vive and their knee scooter with 8-inch polyurethane wheels that are truly stable and non-slippery so you can get out confident and carefree.
This knee scooter operates smoothly both indoors and outdoors, which means you can visit your friends, go to shopping, take a walk at the park, or store it in the back of your car and hit the road.
We saved the best for the end – Vive gives you unconditional lifetime warranty for their knee scooter, which is one of the top three reasons why this one is the best scooter on the market.
Vive designed a product that is lightweight, but still has great weight capacity and is sturdy and durable.
Even though this knee scooter is a bit pricey, the quality you get for it is undeniable.
- Reversible Tray is Great for Any Activity SkiL-Care SofTop Laptray is reversible to provide two different surfaces
- Surface is made of wipe-clean vinyl
- Patient-accessible strap allows tray to be secured to wheelchair and prevent tray from sliding forward
- Country of origin is United States